Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

Thread: Samsung series 9

Beans

Re: Samsung series 9

wild_oscar, mine works on kernel 3.5 (keys and automatic) with samsung tools and the keyboard backlight is at its max after the 4th or 5th step on the notification on the screen. The automatic keyboard backlight works on kernels 3.7 and 3.9, but the fn backlight keys (only) do not. It shows the notification but does nothing. But for some reason I vaguely recall that the keyboard backlight fn keys worked on 3.7 before I installed samsung tools which allows you to control the cpu speed (fn fan key). I always suspend my laptop and never shut down so I'm sure this works.

The only major issue for me is when resuming from sleep or coming back after the screen has gone "blank" when using dual displays, the displays seem to reset themselves putting all my windows on one screen and resetting the software calibration I've done on the laptop display. But this is only with dual displays. I don't experience the "reset" when I'm not using a secondary monitor and have yet to find a reason why it does this.
    Last edited by k3mist; April 16th, 2013 at 02:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi!!

I just bought a Samsung 900x3E, to replace my worn out 900X3A. Lovely machine... It's great with the high resolution screen...

However, I'm having problems getting dual boot with W8 to work. I have
    - swithced off Fast Boot
    - Disabled Secure Boot

Now, when I choose UEFI-OS, I can boot into W8, but when I choose CSM OS, I cannot do that. So I left it at UEFI.

Install of Ubuntu 13.04 works nicely, but then I cannot boot into W8 from Grub. Ubuntu runs nicely, though.

So: my issue is to have a working dual boot - not necessarily have keyboard light etc. I do not feel like playing around with the CMOS settings too much, of risk for bricking the machine. So: anyone got advice on how to solve this dual boot?

UPDATE: Dual boot solved simply by re-booting from a Linux-Secure-Remix (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LinuxSecureRemix) USB-stick, and running Boot-repair. Now dual boot works like a charm.

Magnus
    Last edited by MagnusL; July 14th, 2013 at 11:40 AM.

Beans

Has anyone been able to resolve the issue with keyboard-backlight on 900X4C?

Beans

my IMHO: I tried 13.04 on my 900X4C - too buggy yet. On 12.04 I configured all my Fn keys and it works correctly, just install samsung-utils packages.

BY the way, the one question that i still cannot resolve - udev rules for disabling touchpad on usb mouse connection.

Beans

i setup udev to disable touchpad on mouse plugin, if anybody needs that too, i can share.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by karlingen View Post
    Has anyone been able to resolve the issue with keyboard-backlight on 900X4C?
    If you can not adjust it on a fresh reboot its likely the ACPI stopped working again for no reason which seems to be a common problem. But if you never had it working its likely something else.

For me, the only resolution is power down the laptop (full shutdown, not sleep). Then grab a paper clip or something small enough to fit in the battery reset hole on the underside of the laptop. Hold it in for like 15 seconds or so (not sure what the actual reset timer is).

Its important that you do the battery reset without the power supply plugged in. Then when powering the laptop back on, it must be plugged in, otherwise it will not start. You may have to hold down the power button for longer than normal for the laptop to power on after the battery reset. At least that has been my experience.

Beans

Hello!

I got a new ATIV Book 9 900X3F-GO1 and installed Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 64bit in UEFI mode.

The fan is constantly running and the fnkeys are not working.

So I wanted to ask if there's a difference between installing in UEFI or BIOS mode and between Ubuntu Gnome and the standard Ubuntu Edition, especially when it comes to hardware support.

Thanks

Update: The fan is much quieter now after installing TLP. Everything is working fine apart from some FN keys. I don't think there's much differance between uefi und bios mode.
    Last edited by unattached; October 26th, 2013 at 12:36 PM.

Beans

If anybody is still seeing "lid state changes not detected" but on Samsung Series 9 laptops please file a bug report by running

$ubuntu-bug kernel

command.

Existing bug has been closed as "Incomplete"

Beans

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by aisthesis2 View Post
    If you can not adjust it on a fresh reboot its likely the ACPI stopped working again for no reason which seems to be a common problem. But if you never had it working its likely something else.

For me, the only resolution is power down the laptop (full shutdown, not sleep). Then grab a paper clip or something small enough to fit in the battery reset hole on the underside of the laptop. Hold it in for like 15 seconds or so (not sure what the actual reset timer is).

Its important that you do the battery reset without the power supply plugged in. Then when powering the laptop back on, it must be plugged in, otherwise it will not start. You may have to hold down the power button for longer than normal for the laptop to power on after the battery reset. At least that has been my experience.
    I have the same problem on a 900x3d with the keyboard backlight and resetting the batterie from time to time helps, thanks for the tip!. But I can't reproduce when the ACPI crashes. Is there any solution upcoming?
    Can one update the machine's firmware with Ubuntu only on the machine?

Kind regards
    Roede

Beans

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone is dual-booting windows 8 and 14.04? If so, what is your partition setup? I made a thread here about my ongoing dilemma with this, but I figured asking in this thread may help.

previous thread : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2227267

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast