Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast

Thread: Samsung series 9

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Samsung series 9

guicgn, yes, it's safe as long as you turn off UEFI mode. PXE booting precludes USB booting altogether, and that's what I did. Is that an option for you? You'd need another computer on which to set it up.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PXEInstallServer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by erinspice View Post
    No, I experience the same symptoms you describe. My ambient light sensor works, though, and is able to set my keys backlight level appropriately.

In other news, UEFI-boot brick problem is workarounded.
    Oh, yes, mine too - it seems to work automatically, just not manually!

If you ever find out a fix for it, let us know!

Beans

thank you!! i am going to try this

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by erinspice View Post
    With this second problem, I have used samsung-tools-preferences to set both to retain the last state they were set to, but my bluetooth is always *on* on unsuspend and reboot, and my wifi is always *off*. I always have to toggle them. Any ideas?
    Hi everyone. I've recently bought my X3C. So far loving it. And thanks to everyone who participated in helping me out with some of my questions which really helped me decide buying this laptop.

As for the bluetooth state problem of erinspice, even though I'm not sure if it would work out but what you can do is to put the code below which turns bluetooth off into a script in this /etc/pm/sleep.d/ folder. This particular script will be executed everytime your system wakes up. (Not tried it for hibernation but that should also work).

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/pm/sleep.d/00_user_script

add

rfkill block bluetooth

save & exit

also give the permission to execute

sudo chmod +x /etc/pm/sleep.d/00_user_script

Beans

this laptop was my first choice, but after reading all this post, i think i rather stay away from samsung serie 9.shame

Beans

The 900X3C is (one of) the best notebooks for Ubuntu. Nearly everything works out of the box! Even my bluetooth stays disabled after a reboot and suspend works as expected.

Nonetheless I've stumbled upon a very strange bug: After adding an icc file to the color management, my webcam stopped working. It's not recognized anymore :/

Did anyone experience the same?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikl-dk View Post
    Ubuntu 12.10 on Samsung Series 9 with everything working (including keyboard backlight)

Samsung Series 9 is a praised machine. Despite this, I used half a day troubleshooting why the keyboard could not be lit (as the last thing not working). It turned out that the kernel module samsung_laptop could not be loaded because "samsung_laptop: This computer does not support SABI" (from dmesg). By Googling, I found out that it was because of UEFI. I found as follows:
    I stumbled across
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1012284
    which led to problems with the file drivers/platform/x86/samsung-laptop.c. Searching for "ubuntu 12.10 drivers/platform/x86/samsung-laptop.c" I was led to http://osdir.com/ml/kernel-team/2012-12/msg00752.html which indicated the problems with UEFI. To confirm my findings, I enabled CSM only and tried booting using a Live USB. You can read more about UEFI and CSM at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified...ware_Interface .

As I could not easily find the solution, I now post this.

My version of the Samsung Series 9 is NP900X3C-A04 with BIOS/firmware version P02ABK but the following is maybe true to other versions, too.

To get a fully working Ubuntu 12.10 system, do as follows:

1) Go to System settings (what was called the BIOS in "old" days)
    1.1) On the Advanced tab, disable Fast BIOS mode. (I also enabled "Battery Life Cycle Extension" for better battery life but this setting has nothing to do with this.)
    1.2) On the Boot tab, disable Secure Boot and then select "CSM OS" as the OS Mode Selection
    1.3) Set Boot Device Priority such that you can install Ubuntu (this would normally be to set USB HDD as the first boot device and use a USB drive to install Ubuntu)

2) Install Ubuntu and boot it

3) Update the system:
    3.1) sudo apt-get update
    3.2) sudo apt-get upgrade

4) Activate the Fn keys as described on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SamsungSeries9#FnKeys

5) Additional conveinient fixes as those described on http://www.rileybrandt.com/2012/11/18/linux-ultrabook/ and http://www.math.helsinki.fi/mathphys...ulcio_new.html

5) Reboot and enjoy!
    Are you running windows 8 in dual boot ?
    How can i do that with 'CSM OS' enabled?

Beans

I do not post here often or on the internet in general much in the past decade. But did want to thank the OP for this thread and everyone else participating for the valuable information. I was able to to setup my new series 9 np900x4c-07 in about 20 minutes with everything working (fn keys, kb backlight, suspend/resume, wifi, BT, etc).

I've had the laptop for about a week now and use it for development (work and personal) and it performs incredibly. There are only two main issues that remain, and really only one now. I should mention I'm running linux mint 14 but generally issues outside of the window managers are in both distros.

Anyway...

The biggest issue right now which ironically may be related to the window manager, is when coming back from suspend (actual suspend of laptop) or inactivity (display auto off). The display manager is not persisting the desktop on the external display when the screen comes back on. It seems as if the intel driver (X) or the window manager is re-initializing itself instead of resuming from its last state. I will have to manually open the "Displays" dialog to fix it sometimes. But most of the time it comes back with all the windows on the laptop display and I have to fix my desktop by hand dragging all my windows back to the external display. Can be quite annoying on days where you have to get up from your desk several times. Hopefully there is a fix somewhere?

The second issue was the display. Although not perfect I thought I should share my findings. I was not happy with the display at all but knew it looked good in windows 8 before I wiped it from this laptop completely. SO for the past week I have been tweaking and trying to find the best display settings through the command line tools available to linux since intel unfortunately does not provide a GUI in its open source display drivers. I have come up with these few bits that I run from a bash script and hopefully they will help others here have a better linux experience.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    xcalib -c
    xcalib ~/samsung.icm
    sleep 1
    redshift -o -m vidmode -t 7000:7000 -g 0.78:0.78:0.85
    xcalib -co 90 -a
    The icm profile can be found here http://www.notebookreview.com/defaul...ies+9+np900x4c

Basically I use the icm profile at night which is much easier on the eyes and the remainder (after the sleep command) is for daytime use. You will need to install redshift and xcalib using apt to run this. If you like the icm profile that much you want to use it all the time, you may add it to the "Color" manager in gnome 3 and there is no need for the bash script.

-k3mist

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Has any of you guys had problems with the keyboard backlight after suspending? I have a NP900X4C. As we speak I'm writing in the dark and keyboard light doesn't work at all. Like Erin said, even though the FN keys don't do anything for backlighting, I have in the past been able to see the lights on dim enviroments. Do you guys still have that working? And, if so, do the lights work after having suspended the laptop?

Beans

I recently purchased a NP900X3D and I'm running Ubuntu Gnome Remix 12.10 on it. Overall, the laptop is great and everything works correctly after hacking with the config, with the following exceptions:

• Keyboard backlight does not work. The Gnome3 HUD to show that the Fn-F9/Fn-F10 buttons have been pressed comes up onscreen, but the display shows that the value is off, and I can't seem to turn it on.
    • The touchpad won't let me move the cursor when another finger is on the touchpad. For example, I keep my left index finger down where the mouse1 button would be, and when that finger is making contact with the touchpad the cursor cannot be moved with my right index finger.
    • Fn-F11 doesn't seem to do anything
    • Fn-F12 causes Wifi to be disabled, but the blue light never turns off

Has anyone had success with this model with the issues above?

Thanks!

Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast