Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung series 9

Beans

Re: Samsung series 9

Quote Originally Posted by b16a2smith View Post
    Well my trackpad crapped on me. I had to return it and just went with a 2011 MBP 13", no problems with Natty so far except wireless. But the good news is I am happy with the hardware.
    Can you give a summary of your experiences, and whether or not you'd recommend the series 9 under Ubuntu? It had seemed like you'd had everything working, up until your last post.

Beans

For those interested in the function keys, in particular the lack of function of the keyboard illumination keys, I have started a thread at

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10782038

I currently have the following keys not working properly

FnF2 (screen brightness down, sticks)
    FnF3 (screen brightness up, sticks)
    FnF6 (power save mode, no response)
    FnF7 (keyboard backlight down, no response)
    FnF8 (keyboard backlight up, no response)
    FnF12 (toggle wifi, no response)

Also the keyboard backlight stays on when I close the lid and the machine goes into suspend mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by jcDelta View Post
    Can you give a summary of your experiences, and whether or not you'd recommend the series 9 under Ubuntu? It had seemed like you'd had everything working, up until your last post.
    Depends if you have the money. I am not a fanboy. I recommend using what you feel is right for you, and finding another SSD to expand my space I found it harde finding a replacement. Everything worked except for those few things like Fn key and others. So I went back to the MacBook Pro 2011 model. I love it, its faster, more functional and I get more out of ubuntu than wat I could with the Series 9. Good luck and don't waste your money if you don't have to. My opinion? Wait until its dropped down to $1200.
    Follow me on Twitter!
    Or visit my blog (No Ads)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi everyone!
    So, I got my computer and, after much fighting, I managed to get it going under ubuntu natty.
    Now, a couple of things I noticed, and would like to ask:
    a) The touchpad. No click and dragging under natty, but I could do that under maverick. Can anybody explain why this is the case, and if one can downgrade to the way maverick dealt with stuff?
    b) Using the psmouse enabling command written in the original post actually gives click and drag, right click and everything, but at the expense of an incredibly unresponsive touchpad. Does anybody know how to increase sensitivity of the touchpad? (And no, it doesn't work from the GUI)
    c) If you go into Natty live CD, the wireless hotkey works, if you go through maverick and then upgrade, it doesn't. It's a minor gripe, really, but any ideas again, of how to adopt whatever the natty liveCD is doing?

e) As for everything else, it's running wonderfully!
    I'm really happy with it, and can't wait to test it thoroughly.

Beans

Some people said they encountered problems with click-dragging and the brightness Fn keys not working.

I want to share that I did a 64-bit clean install and don't have these problems. However, the WiFi key, keyboard brightness keys and a few other keys are not working; only the screen brightness and volume control keys are working.

Beans

I don't have time to properly investigate why (at the moment), but I will say this: I've been having issues with my system randomly freezing and locking me out.

When I get locked out, my cursor will continue to move, and any audio I have running in the background (usually Pandora) will continue to play. However, the mouse clicks don't seem to register, and neither do keyboard actions. Other than being able to move the mouse, I'm locked out.

If I do any of the following for long enough, I can almost guarantee that this will happen:

1) Running Conky (with a .conkyrc that I've used fine for years)
    2) Making large (~300MB) FTP transfers
    3) Running Deja-Dup (it seems to crash immediately after a successful transfer?)

To put this profoundly un-intelligently, I'm guessing some kind of "file-systemy" type operation is perhaps at the root of the problem, given the nature of the programs above. Again, though, I just don't have the time right now to dig through log files and such, unfortunately.

One other minor problem: I'll frequently get screen tearing of the menu bar in gedit, but it'll draw fine if I force a repaint, usually just by minimizing and maximizing the window. Whatever. I don't care too much about that one.

Also, I'll second the OPs report about having great difficulty getting grub to stick. (I didn't have any trouble initially, probably due to dumb luck, but had to do a system reinstall this weekend, and now I'm having all kinds of Grub problems.) Unfortunately, when I try to boot from 10.10, I actually hit a kernel panic that forces me to take the damn machine apart to yank the battery. The hard-reset of holding the power button down doesn't seem to work once I've hit a kernel panic.

Is anyone else having these freezing problems? If so, and if we can figure out why more precisely, we should submit a bug report.

Edit:
    After a little experimentation, I'm beginning to think that all of these symptoms are in fact a result of a crash in the Broadcom Wireless driver. After hypothesizing such, I haven't had any of the system crashes above occur as long as I have wireless disabled. I'll post again as my confidence in this theory changes one way or another.

This does, however, seem to be a known problem. See:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/709693

Second Edit:
    Nope, now I'm getting crashes even with the Wireless disabled. I guess that's not it. Now I'm back to suspecting some process invoked by either/both Conky and Deja-Dup, running either of those programs routinely crashes my machine.
    Last edited by chrisallenlane; May 11th, 2011 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Added new information

Beans

Hey, has anyone managed to get multi-touch gestures to work?

I followed the instructions here,
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Multitouch/T...eckingMTDevice

but got this...
    sudo mtdev-test /dev/input/event7
    error: could not grab the device

Anyone managed to get this to work?

Beans

Hi Guys,

thanks for this thread! I would like to buy the Series 9 laptop but need wifi and a good working external/second screen setup. I know that wifi is also a problem for windows users, hence it is not a gnu/linux issue. I am linux-only and don't have windows as a fall back solution -- can I buy the Series 9 and get it working for a day-by-day laptop with an additional, external screen or are just too many things broken that make the laptop rather a hobby than a workhorse?

Thanks.

Beans

Talking Re: Samsung series 9

I spent 15 minutes playing with it in best buy, after rebooting into a live usb version of Ubuntu 11.04 x64. It prompted to install wifi drivers, was really quick, both booting and in the live cd, even off of the usb drive, and the screen was quite nice. Hotkeys worked except for keyboard back lighting, and toggling wifi. There seemed a couple things that would need adjustment, but is was fully usable for me, and quite enjoyable. Didn't seem to have multi-touch be default, but it didn't seem to matter much to me. Keyboard felt really good to me.

I think I'll order it over the weekend. I'll report back what I find.

Beans

@chrisallenlane: lockup related to unity?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisallenlane View Post
    When I get locked out, my cursor will continue to move, and any audio I have running in the background (usually Pandora) will continue to play. However, the mouse clicks don't seem to register, and neither do keyboard actions. Other than being able to move the mouse, I'm locked out.
    Are you using Unity with Ubuntu 11.04? I would suspect this locking up - happened to me, too.
    Try if Ctrl-Alt-F1 works to get to another virtual terminal, where you could kill all processes containing "unity" (e.g. 'pkill -f unity' and then 'unity --replace' to restart it). Use Ctrl-Alt-F7 to get back to your gdm session.

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast