Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung series 9

Beans

Re: Samsung series 9

Has anyone else run into an issue where dmidecode is not working? Best I can tell, the bios is not populating any information for linux to read.

I have installed 12.04.1 with 3.5.1-030501-generic on an np900x4c-a01us. Below is what I get from dmidecode. This prevents the samsung-laptop kernel module from loading, as well as pretty much anything else vendor-specific from working.

# dmidecode 2.11
    # SMBIOS entry point at 0xdac46000
    SMBIOS 2.7 present.
    64 structures occupying 2900 bytes.
    Table at 0x000E0840.

Invalid entry length (0). DMI table is broken! Stop.

I'm wondering if this might be fixed by installing the bios update from last April, and if anyone has installed that update via dos/usb, as I am not dual-booting.

Couple other notes from my experience. The single best quality-of-life improvement I've seen so far is with "xgamma -gamma 0.7". The display is super washed-out otherwise.

Also, the bios is super buggy. I usually have to reboot a few times before it works, and always have to disable the fast boot mode. Symptoms include messed up display of the bootloader menu: sometimes invisible but working, sometimes the top half renders but not the bottom, sometimes it just freezes there.

Fortunately manual suspend/resume work fine, and I really like this machine in general.

Beans

Hey,
    I actually just installed the Bios update today and now got Bios version P04AAC. Unfortunately dmidecode still returns rubbish and for now i've got no idea how to fix it. As for the Bios installation I did not find any other way than to install Windows.
    Cheers

JO

Beans

Hey,

now it works dunno what exactly has changed but I get the correct information from the dmidecode and the function keys are also working. Still having problems trying to update to Kernel 3.5.4 or 3.6. So if anyone knows how to properly update the Kernel I would love any help/suggestions.
    Thanks a lot in advance

JO

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by joehothebo View Post
    Still having problems trying to update to Kernel 3.5.4 or 3.6. So if anyone knows how to properly update the Kernel I would love any help/suggestions.
    Thanks a lot in advance
    Just download packages from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa.../v3.6-quantal/, install them and reboot.

Beans

Hello. A brand new Series 9 NP900X4C-A03US. I've got 12.04 (AMD64) on a USB drive, I've disabled the appropriate items in BIOS, and when I get the boot: prompt (which will not pass on its own) I hit <TAB> and then "live" and enter. It seems like it boots, the screen flashes and I hear the tone, but the screen is illegible. If I move the mouse, I see a about 400 little squares move in unison around the screen.
    Any ideas as to what's going on and how to get out of it?

Beans

Even the acpi issues seem to have disappeared for me after installing that bios update.. I installed it 3 weeks ago. Previously I got a week at most before the issues re-appeared. And it almost never survived a full night suspend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi, I own a 900x3c with BIOS P04AAC and am also experiencing acpi issues. Is this the latest bios? Also I see the function keys for keyboard backlight control is supposed to be working in Ubuntu 12.10 (see here), however they don't work me. Still, the backlight do seem to turn on when it gets a bit darker.

Also I've been checking PowerTOP for stuff taker more power than its supposed too.. First of all the audio intel codec has a bug, which is easily fixed by adding this to your /etc/rc.local (as explained in the link):

Code:
    echo 1 | tee /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save

echo Y | tee /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save_controller

pkill pulseaudio

pulseaudio --start
    However I noticed something else with wireless in PowerTOP. I have something called "radio:samsung-wlan" (using about 1.5W) and then "Network interface: wlan0 (iwlwifi)" (using about 200mW). Both are listed as "Device". I'm wondering if the samsung-wlan (running at 100%) is something I really need for wireless, or if it's just some sort of duplicate of the other (Network inter..). It just seems strange to have to two of these running at the same time.

Beans

Screen default brightness is always at maximum

When I boot into Ubuntu 12.10 (64 bit) on Samsung Series 9 900X3B screen brightness is always at maximum highest level.

Is there a way to make Ubuntu remember the previous screen brightness?

Beans

Re: Samsung series 9 Scancodes

I installed Ubuntu 12.10 on my 900X4C A02 and started $sudo showkey. This is the result:

Setup: 118 pressed NOT released
    Display darker: 224 pressed and released
    Display brighter: 225 pressed and released
    Monitor switch: 227 pressed and released
    Touchpad lock: 193 pressed and released
    Touchpad unlock: 192 pressed and released
    Mute: 113 pressed and released, LED on key is always off
    Volume down: 114 pressed and released
    Volume up: 115 pressed and released
    Keyboard light darker: nothing
    Keyboard light brighter: nothing
    Fan: 202 pressed and released
    WLan: nothing, LED on key is always on

Then I added the following 3 lines to /lib/udev/keymaps/samsung-other

0x96 kbdillumup # keyboard backlit up
    0x97 kbdillumdown # keyboard backlit down
    0xCE prog1 # system settings

and the following 3 lines to /lib/udev/keymaps/force-release/samsung-other

0x96 # keyboard backlit up
    0x97 # keyboard backlit down
    0xCE # system settings

and rebooted the laptop. After that $sudo showkey returned different codes for three keys:

Setup: 148 pressed and released
    Keyboard light darker: 229 pressed and released
    Keyboard light brighter: 230 pressed and released
    Last edited by netAction; October 29th, 2012 at 11:02 AM.

Beans

@all 900X3C owners

Can you hear a buzzing sound when you place your ear 5cm above the keyboard while it is illuminated (highest level)? On my newly bought 900X3C-A03DE this buzzing/whirring sound is noticeable.

Is this a defect or does everybody notice this?

Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast