Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung series 9

Beans

Re: Samsung series 9

No, that was about what I wanted to know Thank you!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gunnarflax View Post
    What battery time do you get with the new models? How long does the battery last with Ubuntu 12.04 on a 900X3C, the one with 13,3" screen? I'm just about to purchase one but the battery question is vital.
    900X4C with Kubuntu Precise, I can get over 9 hours on battery (until the 5-percent warning) with the 3.4 mainline kernel. Due to ACPI issues which other users have seen as well, the power saving stuff has to be enabled manually because lid switch and battery status changes are not handled.

Turning off bluetooth, enabling wifi power management, changing performance mode to silent, reducing backlight, and adjusting the tunables in powertop, are what I've done. On average, this setup uses between 7 and 8 watts during browsing and some IRC.

Once the ACPI events are handled correctly, this is gonna be a pretty awesome machine.

Beans

Everything sounds rather good, I'll definitely be buying this one

Beans

Kernel bug for the wonky ACPI event handling: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44161

CC if you want to keep track of that issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Just a note for those interested... There is now going to be a 256GB SSD version:
    http://www.samsung.com/us/business/l...NP900X3C-A04US

Hong Kong and Korea had it previously. I think it comes with a TPM chip - does this affect ubuntu compatibility?
    laura / chicgeek
    Singer and designer
    Find me on twitter
    Find me on flickr

Beans

http://askubuntu.com/questions/16659...boot-windows-7

above is link to dual boot install on new Samsung series 9

( 12.04 and Windows 7 )http://askubuntu.com/questions/16659...boot-windows-7

Beans

The new kernel update 3.2.0.27 breaks trackpad support and wifi hotspot on my 900X3B. Anybody else have this issue?

EDIT: This is on Ubuntu 12.04
    Last edited by jammintime; July 25th, 2012 at 01:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by jammintime View Post
    The new kernel update 3.2.0.27 breaks trackpad support and wifi hotspot on my 900X3B. Anybody else have this issue?

EDIT: This is on Ubuntu 12.04
    For me it broke the brightness setting, screen starts flickering when I try to change brightness.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hleinone View Post
    For me it broke the brightness setting, screen starts flickering when I try to change brightness.
    I also get this since updating my kernel to 3.2.0-27-generic. When I try to change the screen brightness with the keyboard buttons, the fan starts up almost immediately, although task manager shows no application which would justify the extra cpu load. My applications are unresponsive although the mouse still moves around fine and changes to the default/text/hand icons as it should, but clicking is unresponsive. After about three minutes my system becomes responsive again with the brightness set to a level I would expect.

I run xfce and although the task manager app doesn't show any applications with high cpu usage, the cpu-graph in my taskbar shows 50% usage (ie 100% usage on two of four cores).

I have a command (below) run automatically at login which no longer does anything and also does nothing when I run it in a terminal manually

xbacklight -dec 100

I have also tried manually running

sudo setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=22

with no effect; no matter what values I set for the last two digits between 00 to FF, the screen brightness does not change.

Sorry I have no idea how to fix it but hopefully this information can lead to someone giving more info about how to diagnose it and perhaps an eventual solution.

edit: This is on 12.04. My trackpad and wifi are fine, only the screen brightness has been affected for me.
    Last edited by coleman_ian; July 26th, 2012 at 12:17 AM. Reason: added ubuntu version

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hleinone View Post
    Found a fix at this link

http://askubuntu.com/questions/16783...htness-problem

1) Add the 'linux on my samsung repository'

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:voria/ppa
    2) Update the package list

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    3) Install the samsung-backlight package

Code:
    sudo apt-get install samsung-backlight
    Restart and backlight is back to normal.

Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast