Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung series 9

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Samsung series 9

I was able to come up with a workaround for trackpad right-click. See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SamsungSeries9. It's not ideal, but it works.

Beans

With the lastest kernels / tweaks how is battery life? still 3-4 hours?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanus View Post
    With the lastest kernels / tweaks how is battery life? still 3-4 hours?
    The answer is "it depends". Yes, 3-4 hours, but depending on what you do, could be up to 6 or down to 2.
    The screen brightness is the main factor, the wifi is probably #2. The kernel tweaks and being able to disable keyboard backlight (another ~1W which can be as much as 10% more bttery life) help, but I found that having a browser open with a dynamic page or turning the screen brightness down one notch makes such a huge difference, all the other tweaks are almost insignificant in comparison.

BTW, to counter the non-removable battery I bought the energizer portable battery which now has Series-9 connectors. Gives me another 4-5 hours or so.

Beans

could you send a link of these he energizer portable battery which now has Series-9 connectors.

im intrested

Quote Originally Posted by aviramj View Post
    The answer is "it depends". Yes, 3-4 hours, but depending on what you do, could be up to 6 or down to 2.
    The screen brightness is the main factor, the wifi is probably #2. The kernel tweaks and being able to disable keyboard backlight (another ~1W which can be as much as 10% more bttery life) help, but I found that having a browser open with a dynamic page or turning the screen brightness down one notch makes such a huge difference, all the other tweaks are almost insignificant in comparison.

BTW, to counter the non-removable battery I bought the energizer portable battery which now has Series-9 connectors. Gives me another 4-5 hours or so.

Beans

When I open the LID laptop does not automatically wake up.

I have to press the power button in order for it to wake up.

Is anybody else seeing that?

Suspend/hibernate script from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SamsungSeries9 is very useful, should we file a bug requesting this script to be included in Ubuntu 12.04 release?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by michel.kluger View Post
    could you send a link of these he energizer portable battery which now has Series-9 connectors.

im intrested
    http://www.energizerpowerpacks.com/sg/products/xp18000/

Did you try the BIOS upgrade described in the ubuntu series9 page?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Ani View Post

Is anybody else seeing that?
    Same behavior here. Both lid open and lid close are not detected. After updating my BIOS I found that lid close detection was working (after which I updated the series9 wiki page). But it didn't last. Not sure what the problem is.

Beans

adampaetznick: How did you update the BIOS? Is there a way to do it from Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by aviramj View Post
    adampaetznick: How did you update the BIOS? Is there a way to do it from Ubuntu?
    I have Windows/Ubuntu dual boot, so I used the Windows installer provided by Samsung. I don't know of a way to update from Ubunutu. But I didn't look for one, either.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adampaetznick View Post
    I have Windows/Ubuntu dual boot, so I used the Windows installer provided by Samsung. I don't know of a way to update from Ubunutu. But I didn't look for one, either.
    Thanks Adam.

That means I will have to re-partition and install Windows just for the upgrade. What are the benefits of this BIOS update other than the lid-close? I couldn't find a changelog on the samsung site.

Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast