Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 320

Thread: Samsung series 9

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    sweden
    Beans
    145
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: Samsung series 9

    Quote Originally Posted by calimannen View Post
    Have any of you got HDMI to work on 11.10? For me it works if I connect a HDMI->DVI adapter and than to an external monitor with a DVI cable. But if I connect a HDMI cable directly into the monitors HDMI input it doesn't work. Looks like I need another driver for this?

    Thanks
    i hooked up the microHDMI (or is it mini?) from the series 9 to my dell 24" that took a normal HDMI in and it all worked fine.

    sometimes when the laptop wakes up, its a bit wonky but can change it easy enough in display settings.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    sweden
    Beans
    145
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: Samsung series 9

    has anyone noticed a difference in the HIBERNATE or SUSPEND modes when you close the lid?

    no matter what i choose, the laptop is still warm the next day.
    i thought one of those was to put the laptop into a sleep like mode which basically turns everything off but not totally off.

    any ideas?

    and i just noticed (after a night) that the fan must have been running all night long too.
    surely there must be a way to 'sleep' this laptop, or?
    Last edited by liquidmonkey; November 22nd, 2011 at 08:09 AM.

  3. #123

    Re: Samsung series 9

    Quote Originally Posted by liquidmonkey View Post
    i hooked up the microHDMI (or is it mini?) from the series 9 to my dell 24" that took a normal HDMI in and it all worked fine.

    sometimes when the laptop wakes up, its a bit wonky but can change it easy enough in display settings.
    HDMI works here as well with no issues. The only thing I had to do was to go to System Settings -> Display, and turn additional monitor on.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Beans
    1

    Lightbulb Re: Samsung series 9

    Hi,
    I have just install Ubuntu 11.10 64 bits on Samsung 900X today. At first, the computer was noisy and hot but after applying the fix of page 12, It have improved so much.The system is perfectly usable, almost everything works fine. However, there are things that could be improved/fixed:

    -Touch-pad multi-touch and gestures: I have experience some problems with right click so I apply the psmouse fix. About multi-touch; I have realized that people had MULTITOUCH in previous versions (they activate some gestures in pref>mouse>touchpad). With 11.10 it's like the computer detects touchpad as a mouse so "Touchpad" window it's not showed. Does anybody have multitouch or ubuntu detects the hardware correctly?

    -Keyboard Light Keys: they are off as default, the key don't work. I do some research and I don't found any working fix.

    -Battery life: with the fix I said at first I have about 3 hour of battery power with wireless and max screen brightness .

    I will keep trying to fix this problems, any collaboration is valued
    Thank you for your attention and interest

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Beans
    2

    Re: Samsung series 9

    Quote Originally Posted by gasuter View Post
    Hi,

    But I still got some wifi problem. I have the broadcom 43225 and tired with or without the sta driver and it's not really good. Most of the time I see all the network but when I trie to connect it take a VERY long time to connect (sometimes it just doesn't) and even connected to the wifi I in fact have no connection. (even with a ping to the router) If I trie again and again, sometimes I can be connected for a few minutes. So what I have to do is to connect my HTC desire with the cable and connect internet via my smartphone!!
    This is in the hotel I'm now. At home it's a bit better but still I have to restard the connection every 30 min. Well in fact it's not really stable.

    Am I the only one with this. I read that other people have similar problem, does anyone have a solution??
    I finally had some time to dig into this and it seems the main culprit is, again, power management.

    Using Broadcom BCM43225 802.11/g/n (rev 01) in Debian testing on a 900X1B, both Open Source brcm80211 and closed sourced Broadcom STA driver perform poorly, losing around 25% of the packets just pinging the AP. The STA driver seems to be less prone to frequent disconnections.

    None of the drivers support power saving (it is planned for brcm80211), you can make things better by turning off power save for the wireless interface. You can check the current configuration with

    Code:
    sudo /sbin/iwconfig
    If your wireless interface (wlan0 for brcm80211, eth1 for STA) has a line like this

    Code:
     Power Managementmode:All packets received
    the power management is on, otherwise you should see

    Code:
     Power Management:off
    The wireless power management can be turned off with

    Code:
     sudo /sbin/iwconfig power off
    As a simple test you can start pinging an AP with power management on and after a while turn off power management, you should see ping times drop by two orders of magnitude.

    This change can be made permanent by creating the file
    /etc/pm/power.d/wireless containing the two lines (use wlan0 instead of eth1 if you are using the brcm80211 driver):

    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    
    /sbin/iwconfig eth1 power off
    The file must be executable, you can set the persmissions by

    Code:
    sudo chmod +x /etc/pm/power.d/wireless
    See
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...wl/+bug/681445
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...wl/+bug/651008

    It is far from perfect, but with power management off the performance is acceptable.
    Last edited by ric900; November 27th, 2011 at 05:49 PM.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Beans
    2

    Re: Samsung series 9

    Quote Originally Posted by TomaszC View Post
    HDMI works here as well with no issues. The only thing I had to do was to go to System Settings -> Display, and turn additional monitor on.
    I don't know what I did wrong but now the HDMI works for me too. Nice to get rid of the uggly DVI converter I've used until today.

    Thanks.

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Beans
    2

    Re: Samsung series 9

    Quote Originally Posted by ric900 View Post
    I finally had some time to dig into this and it seems the main culprit is, again, power management.

    Using Broadcom BCM43225 802.11/g/n (rev 01) in Debian testing on a 900X1B, both Open Source brcm80211 and closed sourced Broadcom STA driver perform poorly, losing around 25% of the packets just pinging the AP. The STA driver seems to be less prone to frequent disconnections.

    None of the drivers support power saving (it is planned for brcm80211), you can make things better by turning off power save for the wireless interface. You can check the current configuration with

    Code:
    sudo /sbin/iwconfig
    If your wireless interface (wlan0 for brcm80211, eth1 for STA) has a line like this

    Code:
     Power Managementmode:All packets received
    the power management is on, otherwise you should see

    Code:
     Power Management:off
    The wireless power management can be turned off with

    Code:
     sudo /sbin/iwconfig power off
    As a simple test you can start pinging an AP with power management on and after a while turn off power management, you should see ping times drop by two orders of magnitude.

    This change can be made permanent by creating the file
    /etc/pm/power.d/wireless containing the two lines (use wlan0 instead of eth1 if you are using the brcm80211 driver):

    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    
    /sbin/iwconfig eth1 power off
    The file must be executable, you can set the persmissions by

    Code:
    sudo chmod +x /etc/pm/power.d/wireless
    See
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...wl/+bug/681445
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...wl/+bug/651008

    It is far from perfect, but with power management off the performance is acceptable.

    Thank you ric900.
    But my wlan0 is already on "power management : off"... I just install kernel 3.1.1 and I'll see if it's better or not.

    @ Tomascz : I'm trying Kernel 3.1.1. (as you suggested) and i'll let you know if the the wifi is really better.

  8. #128
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    41

    Re: Samsung series 9

    Things were working ok with 11.04. After upgrading to 11.10, I've had weird wifi issues. I decided to do a clean install. It worked fine for a while, but not I have no wifi at all... Any help getting started with debugging this? Thanks!

  9. #129

    Re: Samsung series 9

    Quote Originally Posted by Nir Friedman View Post
    Things were working ok with 11.04. After upgrading to 11.10, I've had weird wifi issues. I decided to do a clean install. It worked fine for a while, but not I have no wifi at all... Any help getting started with debugging this? Thanks!
    Try installing the latest kernel from:

    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

    It works great for me.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Beans
    7
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

    Wink Re: Samsung series 9

    Just finished installing 11.10 on a brand new Samsung 900X3A-B02 (revision 2).

    So far most of it works out-of-the-box: wifi, bluetooth, camera, mic, etc.

    What doesn't (the usual suspects):
    - fn+F7/F8 (keyboard dimming)
    - fn+F1 (settings?)
    - fn+F6 (power mode)
    - fn+F12 (toggle wifi)

    Other stuff that's missing:
    - fn+F5 to toggle touchpad works, but an empty notification pops up.
    - Touchpad is recognized as a mouse (not Touchpad tab in the settings, no multitouch settings

    I miss 2-finger scrolling

Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •