am doing that RIGHT NOW.
    roughly half way through.

will report back in a bit...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Samsung series 9

ok all done and mostly all good.

dropbox is sometimes messing up when re-starting the laptop.
    you'll need to re-link it (a few times) to get it right.

system settings - appearance - the highContrast and highContrastInverse themes work sortof ok. seems to be missing icons for some things and it pushes the top bar over juuuuuuuuust enough so that the settings button is off the screen.
    the other two work fine but i like ambiance the most

clicking on the menus in the top right and getting them to stay down is inconsistent at the moment. minor annoyance.

EVERTHYING ELSE ubuntu related seems to work IMO as i tinkered around a bit with some things but i'm by no means an expert.

now the FN keys that are series 9 specific seem to work for the most part.
    F1 settings makes this appear -- ±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±±± -- repeatadly on the current open windows text area. its annoying but just push F2 and it stops.

F2, F3 F7 F8 F9 F10 F11 all seem to work as should and the graphics show as well.

F12 - wifi - is not allowing me turn on or off the wireless network. the blue light on the F12 icon remains on no matter what

F4 - screens - works sort of. i use dual screen and it sometimes works and sometimes does not. not sure if its the dell having sleep mode problems or not. it seems to be rather inconsistent, annoyingly so. but i can get dual screen to work better than in 11.04 so its an improvement but not perfect.

F5 - not sure what its for - shows a blank opaque window in the top right.

F6 - battery - does nothing although i'm plugged in so maybe its not meant to work.

F7 F8 - keyboard backlighting - i unplugged to test this and nothing happened no matter which F7 or F8 i pushed. i didn't see the keyboard backlighting come on either.

FN lock - works.

so yeah, seems like a good upgrade to do but there is stil some inconsistancy with the dual screen stuff which is the major annoyance that i've found so far. the next annoyance is when clicking on the menu bar at the top right. the menus flicker and a few clicks are needed to get it to stay down.
    Last edited by liquidmonkey; October 14th, 2011 at 09:15 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stevenwagner View Post
    Has anyone tried installing 11.10 on the samsung series 9 ?
    I have install 11.10 Beta (64 bit) about a week ago.

It's better than 11.04 but still has the same bugs with the fn keys.

So far no kernel panics, I was getting kernel panics from Chrome in 11.04 (installed from the chrome website, not from the repos), however I have installed Chromium from the repos in 11.10 so that may be part of it.

I haven't used Ubuntu 11.10 as much as I would like mainly because my wireless router doesn't seem to play nicely with it. Sometimes my network shows up in the list of available networks, sometimes it doesn't. I'm not sure if it's due to the Ubuntu drivers or the router, since the wireless always works in Windows 7, but I can always see at least some wireless networks in Ubuntu, just sometimes not my wireless network.

Mostly Ubuntu 11.10 is great out of the box. I am really glad that this time I was able to dual boot with Windows 7 since when I installed 11.04 I was unable to dual boot and had to wipe my Windows 7 partition.

I've had some difficulty with getting both two-finger scrolling and two-finger right-click working so for now have set to edge scrolling, but haven't really looked into fixing it yet.

Beans

I tried to do a clean install of 11.10. Install seemed successful, but trying to boot just goes to a reboot loop with grub never appearing. I do not have any workarounds at this point.

Beans

I also upgraded to 11.10 without any problems this morning. Unfortunatly it didn't solve the touchpad issue as I had hoped for...

Beans

I tried install 11.10 from USB key and from cdrom. Every time I get the same result. On trying to boot after install, I never see grub, and I just get a screen the flashes indefinitely in some kind of reboot loop maybe. Any suggestions? Im did full erase of the HD during the install.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stevenwagner View Post
    I tried install 11.10 from USB key and from cdrom. Every time I get the same result. On trying to boot after install, I never see grub, and I just get a screen the flashes indefinitely in some kind of reboot loop maybe. Any suggestions? Im did full erase of the HD during the install.
    Okay, figured it out. Had to go into BIOS and disable 'Use UEFI boot loader'. Then did a full clean install of ubuntu 10.11, and came up just fine. Upon first boot, looks like I may have some driver issues to work out, but Im up and running now.

Beans

I installed 11.04 and all is working, except that I cannot get my headset to work properly. It always takes the input sound fromthe computer and due to this the quality is poor.

Remark: The headset is one with extended plug for use with in/out in same plug.

Beans

Newer Clonezilla USB boot on the Samsung 9 goes right to the grub> prompt. Efforts to manually boot using text from the grub.cfg file suggest that the Samsung is not really seeing the partition on the USB drive (though Windows 7 on the Samsung sees it just fine).

Same USB stick boots Clonezilla fine on other systems.

Any thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by sibelman View Post
    Newer Clonezilla USB boot on the Samsung 9 goes right to the grub> prompt. Efforts to manually boot using text from the grub.cfg file suggest that the Samsung is not really seeing the partition on the USB drive (though Windows 7 on the Samsung sees it just fine).

Same USB stick boots Clonezilla fine on other systems.

Any thoughts?
    have heard of problems when using the USB 3.0 port, so try the 2.0 on the other side.

Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast