Thread: Copy or move file from a .txt source

Beans

Cool Copy or move file from a .txt source

Hi there guys!

Im usign photorec to recover some files that i lost during a format to my hard drive.

The program works like a charm but put all the files on differents folders. i use the find command to put on a list the jpg files but how i use the cp or the mv command to move that files in the list to another folder?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Copy or move file from a .txt source

Maybe this command line will help. I found it in this thread on linuxquestions.org:
    Code:
    for i in `cat filename`;do mv "$i" destination; done
    Be sure to use "the right thingie": ` not '
    and replace the word destination with wherever you want the files moved to, and filename with the name of the text file

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I did this mulitple times for each file type. The above little command will do the same thing if set up correctly.

Code:
    #!/bin/baods
    # move files

cd /home/fred/recover
    mkdir ods
    find /home/fred/recover/recup_dir.1 -name "*.ods" | xargs -i mv {} /home/fred/recover/ods/ 
    find /home/fred/recover/recup_dir.2 -name "*.ods" | xargs -i mv {} /home/fred/recover/ods/ 
    find /home/fred/recover/recup_dir.3 -name "*.ods" | xargs -i mv {} /home/fred/recover/ods/ 
    find /home/fred/recover/recup_dir.4 -name "*.ods" | xargs -i mv {} /home/fred/recover/ods/ 
    find /home/fred/recover/recup_dir.5 -name "*.ods" | xargs -i mv {} /home/fred/recover/ods/ 
    find /home/fred/recover/recup_dir.6 -name "*.ods" | xargs -i mv {} /home/fred/recover/ods/ 
    find /home/fred/recover/recup_dir.7 -name "*.ods" | xargs -i mv {} /home/fred/recover/ods/ 
    find /home/fred/recover/recup_dir.8 -name "*.ods" | xargs -i mv {} /home/fred/recover/ods/ 
    find /home/fred/recover/recup_dir.9 -name "*.ods" | xargs -i mv {} /home/fred/recover/ods/ 
    find /home/fred/recover/recup_dir.10 -name "*.ods" | xargs -i mv {} /home/fred/recover/ods/ 
    find /home/fred/recover/recup_dir.11 -name "*.ods" | xargs -i mv {} /home/fred/recover/ods/ 
    find /home/fred/recover/recup_dir.12 -name "*.ods" | xargs -i mv {} /home/fred/recover/ods/
    The I found scripts for photos & Flacs to rename them from the internal ids.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dearingj View Post
    Maybe this command line will help. I found it in this thread on linuxquestions.org:
    Code:
    for i in `cat filename`;do mv "$i" destination; done
    Be sure to use "the right thingie": ` not '
    and replace the word destination with wherever you want the files moved to, and filename with the name of the text file
    Thank you very much!

i use:

Code:
    find /home/sam/recover2/ -name '*.jpg' -a -size +1M > output.txt
    to create a file name output.txt that contain all the files larger than 1 mb. Then i use

Code:
    for i in `cat output.txt`;do cp "$i" /home/sam/imagesr/; done
    and i move all the files listed on the output.txt to /home/sam/imaesr

i hope this can help another person.

Thank for your support!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

you could have skipped the file part
    find allows to perform an action on each found item

Code: