Thread: Headphones don't seem to be recognized

Beans

Re: Headphones don't seem to be recognized

Hmm... No, I don't have the headphones. These are the ones I have:

Internal Audio Analog Stereo
    Internal Audio Digital Stereo (IEC958)
    Internal Audio Digital Stereo (HDMI)
    Dummy Output

Only Internal Audio Analog Stereo is selectable, the rest is all grayed out.

What do you mean with Lenovo "options"? I'm not familiar with the term. The headphones worked with the same hardware, different distro before, so it doesn't seem like it'd be a fundamental problem with the laptop itself, as difficult as it is to get the hardware running right with this one

Thanks by the way for the help, I really appreciate it

Beans

Unless you know you need the digital IEC958 and/or the HDMI, you should set that to "Off" on your pavucontrol "Configuration" tab. Then just leave the "Internal Analogue Audio" enabled.

Intel options database: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...sound+database

Ubuntu's guidance: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Beans

Oh... Yeah, I'd found and used those before, the options don't help. And in the configuration tab of pavucontrol I've had digital and HDMI turned off the whole time - the setting's on Analog Stereo Duplex.

Beans

OK, my last shot at this strange little problem:

Try (if you haven't already) System Settings > Multimedia > Phonon > Audio Capture and move the Pulseaudio Sound Server to the top of the list, and click "Apply". Now go back to pavucontrol > Input Device and see if the volume sliders, in combination with alsamixergui "front mic" or "mic" channels, can get the mic to respond.
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Beans

Based on the comments from link I posted above, updating to latest alsa might help: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1681577

Beans

Hey there,

I think there might be some confusion as to the nature of the problem itself. My mic works fine, the problem is that I can't get headphones to work. On the same note, external microphones don't work either - no external audio devices are recognized. Up till this point I've always been trying to use the standard audio output port on my laptop, no USB, with standard 3.5" audio plugs. Although audio capture with an external mic would be kinda cool, the bigger problem is more that I can't get external headphones or speakers to work with the laptop.

As a side note, in the multimedia settings I don't see a pulseaudio server, even though I've got pulseaudio installed and the daemon is already running.

Temüjin, thanks for the link, but I think that doesn't apply for me too well - I'm using the latest version of Kubuntu (10.10, since 11.04 isn't released yet).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12