Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Wubi gurus up for testing the new ubiquity?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Any Wubi gurus up for testing the new ubiquity?

If it's added the entry to the startup folder, then that's a problem. It will never be deleted. There are a number of startup folders depending on the users, but likely they chose a generic one:
    Code:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    The easiest way to find it is to: click START, run, msconfig

Then select the Startup tab and look for the Startup Item named wubi. It will show the location of the program as well as where it was added. It should be the RunOnce part of the registry.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    It spits an error instead of returning to the Windows boot menu. The next go around I'll pay more attention to what the error message actually says.

Many thanks for working with me on this. I'd bet it's doubtful we'll see these issues fixed so we probably need to work on getting these issues mentioned in the release notes and developing work-arounds

Many, many thanks again.
    It probably says "error: invalid command: drivemap". I noticed that a while ago, but it seems to work anyway so hard to tell whether it's a 'real error' (and the computer reboots) or whether it is working.

And I'm more than happy to help. You are doing the heavy lifting on this that's for sure. But I do spend time helping after the fact, so this upfront work is good.
    But you're right they're unlikely to do any major changes so close to release - so this will just be a "natty thing".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    It probably says "error: invalid command: drivemap". I noticed that a while ago, but it seems to work anyway so hard to tell whether it's a 'real error' (and the computer reboots) or whether it is working.

And I'm more than happy to help. You are doing the heavy lifting on this that's for sure. But I do spend time helping after the fact, so this upfront work is good.
    But you're right they're unlikely to do any major changes so close to release - so this will just be a "natty thing".
    That is exactly correct! In fact while I was writing that error down the boot back to Windows boot menu completed

I'll add a comment at that bug report to disregard.

Wow, two heads do work better than one. I'd be lost without you

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    If it's added the entry to the startup folder, then that's a problem. It will never be deleted. There are a number of startup folders depending on the users, but likely they chose a generic one:
    Code:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    The easiest way to find it is to: click START, run, msconfig

Then select the Startup tab and look for the Startup Item named wubi. It will show the location of the program as well as where it was added. It should be the RunOnce part of the registry.
    I used the Google and did just exactly that, but Win is crying loudly:

Screenshot.png

Screenshot-1.png

Screenshot-2.png

Screenshot-3.png

I'm quite sure that I've never created an admin account on this Win XP home version.

We need an eloquent way of fixing that

Beans

Hey, about that heavy lift. It's always a lighter lift if you have someone on the other end helping

Without you on the other end I'd have a hernia by now

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

That is exactly correct! In fact while I was writing that error down the boot back to Windows boot menu completed

I'll add a comment at that bug report to disregard.

Wow, two heads do work better than one. I'd be lost without you
    I'm getting good at reading grub error messages as they flash by

Wubi is a lot of fun. I wonder how many came to Ubuntu through it - I'd guess many.

I used the Google and did just exactly that, but Win is crying loudly:

Screenshot.png

Screenshot-1.png

Screenshot-2.png

Screenshot-3.png

I'm quite sure that I've never created an admin account on this Win XP home version.

We need an eloquent way of fixing that
    OK that is a problem. Adding in Startup instead of the registry's RunOnce. Bad idea.

I think this is trying to be too clever - why not just post a message "To install inside Windows, reboot into Windows and insert your Ubuntu CD".

And again, you have to wonder if anyone tested this... Kansasnoob, I think you must be the first! Edit: actually there was someone else who tested this, now that I think about it... (just not the developer )

PS that is normal behaviour for Windows XP to prompt you the next time you boot after making startup changes.
    Last edited by bcbc; April 25th, 2011 at 06:07 PM.

Beans

I last tested this about Alpha 3 I think.

Either it worked different then or I didn't bother to reboot again and again.

I think it must have worked different, but I'm old, may have had a brain fart

I do agree that it be best to make recommendations, like:

1) You may want to consider a Wubi install

2) You may want to learn more about manual partitioning

And a link to official documentation for each.

Me thinks we're becoming the king of bloat

Beans

Wubi is a lot of fun. I wonder how many came to Ubuntu through it - I'd guess many.
    I do know I've recommended your guide to move to a hard install a couple dozen times. So, yes, people do learn from Wubi and end up moving to a full Ubuntu experience.

I moved more quickly

I really, really fell in love with Gutsy from day one, and I've only been stressed out once. That's when they introduced pulse-audio in Hardy and that's also when I learned how easy it is to multi-boot

I may change DE's but I'm a **buntu devotee!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Me thinks we're becoming the king of bloat
    I don't think it's too serious it's not like it's formatting the drive. It will certainly irritate some users

Beans

Back to business, if this happens to someone how do they recover other than removing the installation that just took one hour or more, and then install again properly?

I'm sure I'm not the only one with no knowledge or memory of an admin account. I mean I'm going to wipe this Wubi install anyway to try the new iso when it's released, but how would I clean that up if I didn't want to reinstall?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast