Over the last 2-3 weeks, I have been experiencing a rather frustrating scenario in that my ACER 5745G laptop would lock-up, and lock-up hard.

The Alt + PrtSc + REISUB combinations wouldn't work, nor does any other key combination previously suggested to regain 'control'. What really annoys me about it is that is happens at about 90% of a 900MB download.

To regain control, I have to disconnect the power lead, then remove the battery. Pressing the on/off switch does nothing. I then re-install the battery, reconnect the power lead, then start up as per usual. Once up and running as normal, the download recommences without fail.

If it was a one-off problem, I wouldn't be concerned, but as it seems to be occurring a number of times per week (and I'm NOT going to change my download habits), I'm concerned of any long term damage by having to continually shut down the way I am forced to.

I only have 10.10 installed (it did come installed with W7), and it has an i5 processor, grafix are GeForce GT330M, and it has 8GB RAM.