Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Fastest Virus Infection Evar

Beans

Re: Fastest Virus Infection Evar

Quote Originally Posted by aaaantoine View Post
    [Snipped XKCD comic]
    We were all thinking it. I was very tempted to make such a setup myself, then have it on a second monitor while I'm working, only problem is that I couldn't locate any software to track the infections.........(Yes, that is a plea for someone to make it.)
    Life is an extraordinarily long concatenation of luck and coincidence.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by NCLI View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what is this secret key combo?
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m.../gg491396.aspx

Also just to be picky, technically the malware the op reported is not a virus, there are very few true viruses around today, more often than not they're trojan/rootkit/worm/spyware hybrids.
    Last edited by ikt; April 25th, 2011 at 07:47 AM.
    // Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by gnomeuser View Post
    I remember a couple of years back The New York Times ran a test which showed that a Windows XP machine connected to the Internet got infected within 5 minutes.. or less time that it would typically take to download the updates that closed the security holes.

I suspect this was done prior to a version of Windows with the firewall enabled by default but I doubt the landscape has changed that much for XP in this respect. There is going to be a window where you are open to attack while updating.
    I've actually had that happen on a pre-SP2 machine. I got infected by several nastiest in the time it took to download and install an AV suite.

It just doesn't happen on post-SP2 machines though, Microsoft have improved the security of Windows immensely since those days.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345