Thread: what is a time stamp

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

what is a time stamp

and what is a progress migration how do I stop all the svchosts? Am I freeking out?
    Last edited by josephmills; April 22nd, 2011 at 06:50 AM.
    Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: what is a time stamp

bohdi-zazen can you please help me with this or am I am just
    freeking out
    Last edited by josephmills; April 22nd, 2011 at 07:00 AM.
    Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

A time stamp is an official time mark from a trusted server. (If this is not related, please tell...)

I don't know what kind of migration the progress migration should be ... please be more specific ...

And finally, svchost is a windows service, that loads dlls ... I don't think this is Ubuntu (Linux) related, unless you use wine and it loads some sh** on startup or by running some software, from where "progress migration" might also come from.
    Don't ask what your company can do for you.
    Ask what you can do for
    your company!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

A timestamp is actually just a date/time and doesn't have anything to do with servers or trust. For example, each file has a "last modified" timestamp.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

thank you all for all of your helps. last night was the lug meeting and we all go out drinking after. so by the time I got home my typing let alone thoughts where not doing so good for me. I really thought that someone was trying to break into my system because the time stamps where off(so i thought ) and my computer was on and virtual box was open. And I shut down everything before I left. The deal is I dont have anything on my computers that worth anything. I just think that it is weired that the machine was turned off when I left home and I only leave home two or three times a month(I know sad ) and when I got home not only was it on but virtual box was up and running with the cmd open with ipconfig selected . Nothing in ubuntu was open just ubuntu and virtual box. any way thanks and I am going to keep a closer eye on things. Is there any way to tell how this thing got turned on?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Check the boot logs and use Krusader or some other more powerful file handling tool and check the access time of files, for the time when you where not there.

I don't think someone would break into your comp and run virtual box - for fun it probably just didn't happen (the hacking part).

Cheers!
    Don't ask what your company can do for you.
    Ask what you can do for
    your company!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by An Sanct View Post

I don't think someone would break into your comp and run virtual box - for fun it probably just didn't happen (the hacking part).

Cheers!
    first I would like to say thanks for the tips they help out big time. you are right that it probably didn't happen the hacking part. I figure even if it did what was the point. and why be so sloppy like they wanted to show me why not use revere tcp? at any rate I have searched far a wide and can not find a single thing wrong no file's gone nothing. It is just weired 1 I shut the computer completely down and turned off the powerstrip (surge protecter ) and when I came home not only was it on but vbox was running with the cmd up and ifconfig listed. the only thing that I can think off is that it might have been someone from the local hackerspace as I go there sometimes at any rate nothing is missing nothing is hurt boot up is the same(no vbox) I am looking more into it and will get back soon once again thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by josephmills View Post
    last night was the lug meeting and we all go out drinking after. so by the time I got home my typing let alone thoughts where not doing so good for me.
    It is just weired 1 I shut the computer completely down and turned off the powerstrip (surge protecter ) and when I came home not only was it on but vbox was running with the cmd up and ifconfig listed.
    Either a ghost turned on your power strip, or you drink too much
    --iissmart--

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

first I would like to say thanks for the tips they help out big time. you are right that it probably didn't happen the hacking part. I figure even if it did what was the point. and why be so sloppy like they wanted to show me why not use revere tcp? at any rate I have searched far a wide and can not find a single thing wrong no file's gone nothing. It is just weired 1 I shut the computer completely down and turned off the powerstrip (surge protecter ) and when I came home not only was it on but vbox was running with the cmd up and ifconfig listed. the only thing that I can think off is that it might have been someone from the local hackerspace as I go there sometimes at any rate nothing is missing nothing is hurt boot up is the same(no vbox) I am looking more into it and will get back soon once again thanks

You might have a ghost . . . ?
    “ The best method for accelerating a computer is the one that boosts it by 9.8 m/s2. ”
    - Anonymous