Thread: Posible iSCSI problem

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Posible iSCSI problem

Ubuntu 10.4 on all servers.

I am using ubuntu for my KVM servers connected with 10g Ethernet to ubuntu based iSCSI server. Everything seems to work OK for almost a year now. The only problem (which seems like it is not critical) is that at the night, when I am doing my LVM snapshots and making copies of virtual machines, once or twice a week I get this error message on one of windows machine system log:

Program: Viostor
    Error id: 9
    Description: The device, \Device\Scsi\viostor2, did not respond within the timeout period.

It looks like iSCSI server was to busy during snapshot and virtualized server got timeout. HW shouldn't be problems since all servers are using i7 xeons.

Can you suggest iSCSI server or maybe client tweaking to avoid this?

by
    TheR

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Posible iSCSI problem

Quote Originally Posted by TheR View Post
    ...is that at the night, when I am doing my LVM snapshots and making copies of virtual machines...
    Have you change the Default Values in ietd.conf of MaxRecvDataSegmentLenth and/or MaxXmitDataSegmentLenth..?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

All my ietd.conf settings are still commented out. So:

#MaxRecvDataSegmentLength 8192 # Max data per PDU to receive
    #MaxXmitDataSegmentLength 8192 # Max data per PDU to transmit

by
    TheR

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

All my ietd.conf settings are still commented out. So:

#MaxRecvDataSegmentLength 8192 # Max data per PDU to receive
    #MaxXmitDataSegmentLength 8192 # Max data per PDU to transmit

by
    TheR
    8192 are the default values.... Edited: why not to move them to a little higher value...?.. (If you really are expecting higher values ​​due to your work-processes)..?

PD: My doubt is due, because this happens exactly when you're doing (LVM snapshots and making copies of virtual machines) .. may be an overload ( not due to your i7 xeons) .. but the parameters of the file ietd.conf on the ability/capacity of Data-Lenth..?

Carefully .. remember that each value change in a node Must Be the Same at Other End
    Last edited by usatonycuba; April 22nd, 2011 at 08:18 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by usatonycuba View Post
    PD: My doubt is due, because this happens exactly when you're doing (LVM snapshots and making copies of virtual machines) .. may be an overload ( not due to your i7 xeons) .. but the parameters of the file ietd.conf on the ability/capacity of Data-Lenth..?

Carefully .. remember that each value change in a node Must Be the Same at Other End
    This made me think maybe snapshoting is using block that is too large. I am doing dd with bs=64k, simply because it is faster than default.

I will lower bs to 8k and see if there is any difference.

by
    TheR

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This made me think maybe snapshoting is using block that is too large. I am doing dd with bs=64k, simply because it is faster than default.

I will lower bs to 8k and see if there is any difference.
    Nope. No difference. Still got one error.

by
    TheR

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

When using open-iscsi you can change few parameters to improve it... between (initiator and target).. as you said .. there is Ubuntu 10.4 on all servers... you can get the the whole parameter list (at the indicator side) typing iscsiadm -m session -P 2 result will give you something like:

Code:
    Negotiated iSCSI params:
    HeaderDigest: None
    DataDigest: None
    MaxRecvDataSegmentLength: 262144
    MaxXmitDataSegmentLength: 8192
    FirstBurstLength: 65536
    MaxBurstLength: 262144
    ImmediateData: Yes
    InitialR2T: No
    MaxOutstandingR2T: 1
    and here its ...outlined how to Sets the maximum data segment length that can be received/sent

Code:
           [MaxRecvDataSegmentLength <value>]
                  Optional.  Sets  the  maximum  data  segment  length that can be
                  received. The <value> should be set to multiples  of  PAGE_SIZE.
                  Currently  the  maximum  supported value is 64 * PAGE_SIZE, e.g.
                  262144 if PAGE_SIZE is 4kB. Configuring  too  large  values  may
                  lead to problems allocating sufficient memory, which in turn may
                  lead to SCSI commands timing out  at  the  initiator  host.  The
                  default value is 8192.

[MaxXmitDataSegmentLength <value>]
                  Optional. Sets the maximum data segment length that can be sent.
                  The    <value>    actually    used    is    the    minimum    of
                  MaxXmitDataSegmentLength    and   the   MaxRecvDataSegmentLength
                  announced by  the  initiator.  The  <value>  should  be  set  to
                  multiples of PAGE_SIZE. Currently the maximum supported value is
                  64 * PAGE_SIZE, e.g. 262144 if PAGE_SIZE is 4kB. Configuring too
                  large  values may lead to problems allocating sufficient memory,
                  which in turn may lead  to  SCSI  commands  timing  out  at  the
                  initiator host. The default value is 8192.
    It may help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by usatonycuba View Post
    When using open-iscsi you can change few parameters to improve it... between (initiator and target).. as you said .. there is Ubuntu 10.4 on all servers... you can get the the whole parameter list (at the indicator side) typing iscsiadm -m session -P 2 result will give you something like:

Code:
    Negotiated iSCSI params:
    HeaderDigest: None
    DataDigest: None
    MaxRecvDataSegmentLength: 262144
    MaxXmitDataSegmentLength: 8192
    FirstBurstLength: 65536
    MaxBurstLength: 262144
    ImmediateData: Yes
    InitialR2T: No
    MaxOutstandingR2T: 1
    and here its ...outlined how to Sets the maximum data segment length that can be received/sent

Code:
           [MaxRecvDataSegmentLength <value>]
                  Optional.  Sets  the  maximum  data  segment  length that can be
                  received. The <value> should be set to multiples  of  PAGE_SIZE.
                  Currently  the  maximum  supported value is 64 * PAGE_SIZE, e.g.
                  262144 if PAGE_SIZE is 4kB. Configuring  too  large  values  may
                  lead to problems allocating sufficient memory, which in turn may
                  lead to SCSI commands timing out  at  the  initiator  host.  The
                  default value is 8192.

[MaxXmitDataSegmentLength <value>]
                  Optional. Sets the maximum data segment length that can be sent.
                  The    <value>    actually    used    is    the    minimum    of
                  MaxXmitDataSegmentLength    and   the   MaxRecvDataSegmentLength
                  announced by  the  initiator.  The  <value>  should  be  set  to
                  multiples of PAGE_SIZE. Currently the maximum supported value is
                  64 * PAGE_SIZE, e.g. 262144 if PAGE_SIZE is 4kB. Configuring too
                  large  values may lead to problems allocating sufficient memory,
                  which in turn may lead  to  SCSI  commands  timing  out  at  the
                  initiator host. The default value is 8192.
    It may help
    Thank you. So you are suggesting lowering MaxRecvDataSegmentLength parameter.

According to usatonycuba this could be a problem since parameters should be changed both on client and initiator.

It is going to be a bit hard since this is working system with 9 active virtualized servers. I do plan to make one software update on iscsi server soon (uptime is close to 200 days now) but am waiting for new usb keys with cache so updating should be a lot faster.

by
    TheR

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thank you. So you are suggesting lowering MaxRecvDataSegmentLength parameter.

According to usatonycuba this could be a problem since parameters should be changed both on client and initiator.

It is going to be a bit hard since this is working system with 9 active virtualized servers. I do plan to make one software update on iscsi server soon (uptime is close to 200 days now) but am waiting for new usb keys with cache so updating should be a lot faster.

by
    TheR
    run that command too, at the target side, take a look what you get
    Code:
    iscsiadm -m session -P 2
    MaxRecvDataSegmentLength will be, the maximum size of data that the initiator can receive in just one iSCSI PDU... So, whatever the initiator is able to receive and handle, it will be also what the target is permitted to send

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Nope. No difference. Still got one error.

by
    TheR
    Using bs=4k seems to help. I have had three backups without hickup now.

Backup window has gone from 1.5 hours to 2 hours which is acceptable.

Thank you guys for ideas.

by
    TheR