Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Error: subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Error: subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 1

The problem appears to be in the post installation script of grub: /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub

I don't have the problem but I've done what follows. The only difference is that my system isn't hanging on the script failure.

Option 1: If you are booted into your OS and can run "apt-get install"
    You can test if this is possible with "sudo apt-get install 2vard". It's a really small package. If it installs ok:
    a. Purge grub-common. The command will uninstall grub-common and grub-pc
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge grub-common
    This will remove the zz-update-grub script.
    You will be warned you are removing your bootloader. Tab to OK and ENTER.
    b. Install grub-pc. It will install grub-common and grub-pc.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install grub-pc
    Tab to OK, and use the spacebar to select ONLY the Ubuntu drive, not the partition.
    This will restore the zz-update-grub file. If the problem was with the grub file, this should fix it.
    c. Try to update your system again.

Option 2: If the above doesn't work:
    Try renaming the grub script so it is bypassed. It isn't a long term solution but you may be able to run your updates.
    Code:
    sudo mv /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub.bad
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Error: subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 1

Thank you drs305 it now works fine update/upgrade and the old linux-image packages are gone. I'm going to restart the comp to make sure nothing breaks on restart then I'll mark this thread as solved.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by vuetrip View Post
    Thank you drs305 it now works fine update/upgrade and the old linux-image packages are gone. I'm going to restart the comp to make sure nothing breaks on restart then I'll mark this thread as solved.

Glad to hear it. Did the purge/reinstall do it or did you just rename the script?
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Talking Re: Error: subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 1

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    Glad to hear it. Did the purge/reinstall do it or did you just rename the script?
    purge/install failed with the same errors.

I renamed the script and got rid of the linux-image packages, renamed the script back to it's original name, then purged and reinstalled grub.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Error: subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 1

had the same problem... had knoppix livecd and went trigger happy and it tried to install a linux-image. Then it didn't want to uninstall even though the original was still there. I figured it was something to do with grub because of the line, but all is hunky-dorry now...

basically:

Code:
    sudo mv /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub.bad

sudo apt-get install -f

sudo mv /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub.bad /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub
    Then it all worked fine. Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    The problem appears to be in the post installation script of grub: /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub

I don't have the problem but I've done what follows. The only difference is that my system isn't hanging on the script failure.

Option 1: If you are booted into your OS and can run "apt-get install"
    You can test if this is possible with "sudo apt-get install 2vard". It's a really small package. If it installs ok:
    a. Purge grub-common. The command will uninstall grub-common and grub-pc
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge grub-common
    This will remove the zz-update-grub script.
    You will be warned you are removing your bootloader. Tab to OK and ENTER.
    b. Install grub-pc. It will install grub-common and grub-pc.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install grub-pc
    Tab to OK, and use the spacebar to select ONLY the Ubuntu drive, not the partition.
    This will restore the zz-update-grub file. If the problem was with the grub file, this should fix it.
    c. Try to update your system again.

Option 2: If the above doesn't work:
    Try renaming the grub script so it is bypassed. It isn't a long term solution but you may be able to run your updates.
    Code:
    Excellent. You saved my life drs305. Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Old thread closed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12