Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Unity - I love it, so far.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Unity - I love it, so far.

I am posting here because maybe you guys can help me like unity. So far I HATE it. To be 100% fair I will give it 2 months because I hated ribbons when MS came out with those but I like them now. Unity might just take getting used to but here is what I don't like so far:

1) You can't move the task bar (This would be ok if it was on the top or bottom but side is odd)

2) I can't use desktop cube with it (one of the things I loved about gnome with compiz)

3) Need to press control + shift + N to get a new window of something I can't just click another icon (I will likely get used to this one)

4) I don't know where my things are and need to type to get to them. Although the search is fast (I do like the fast search), clicking is faster if you know where something is.

5) menu bar is hidden until you hover over it (sometimes it is buggy too so it does not show up and I need to go again)

6) Windows previews is broken (it just hovers there when I click on it and the menu goes away) so I can't use it.

7) If I want to click a window that is open in the same program that is not the same as the last one, I need to click it twice just to bring up all of them, then I need to pick it again. The stupid things change locations also, so you can't memorize the order things are open in.

8 )It breaks a lot when I try to change things using ccsm and I need to google how to fix it (or sometimes just reboot, thought I that was only a windows fix thing).

I think Unity is why a lot of people moved to linux mint. I read somewhere that I can install gnome 3 on ubuntu, so if I don't end up liking unity I will likely do that. If that does not work then it may be goodbye to ubuntu until they let you use gnome 3 properly :'(.
    Last edited by nolag; November 17th, 2011 at 01:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I'm no fan of Unity. It is exactly the wrong direction to go for a DE.

There was a time when Gnome was about customization and user freedom. Gnome 2 did more for the promotion of Linux than any other DE in history and they have completely ruined Gnome with Gnome 3. Completely. Ruined. It. Gnome 2 should be maintained and further developed at any and all cost.

I don't know what Unity thinks it's supposed to be. But I can tell you this much, it might be cute and pretty, but it's sure nothing I'm interested in.

Have people forgotten the user base of linux? Have they forgotten that there would have been no UBUNTU without Gnome 2!

It's the customization, stupid!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I was opposed to Unity when the choice was made to make it default in 11.04 , but decided to give it a fair shake and used it for 6 months on 11.04 . I installed 11.10 on release day and now run the Gnome Shell and Unity .

I realize that posting my praise or complaints here has no influence what so ever in determining what direction Ubuntu may take in the future . If I were an active developer I could possibly have some influence as to how the final product looked and worked .

I used and enjoyed the previous default desktop on three Ubuntu releases , but I am very pleased with the new direction and see much potential for Unity and the Gnome shell .
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; November 17th, 2011 at 04:07 AM.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    I'm enjoying Unity (in 11.04) and GNOME Shell (in Fedora 16). Not sure which one I prefer -- sometimes I go one way, sometimes the other -- but I hear that 12.04 will have both, so I'm really looking forward to that.
    Both are already available in 11.10. Just install the gnome-shell from the software center.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    I'm enjoying Unity (in 11.04) and GNOME Shell (in Fedora 16). Not sure which one I prefer -- sometimes I go one way, sometimes the other -- but I hear that 12.04 will have both, so I'm really looking forward to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post
    Both are already available in 11.10. Just install the gnome-shell from the software center.
    Thanks. No, I normally stick to LTS versions.I have 10.04 still installed on my main pc, but I have 11.04 on a spare. I'll be holding off until 12.04.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234