Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Playing a 1080 mkv

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Playing a 1080 mkv

Quote Originally Posted by pieroxy View Post
    I have lots of 720p MKV files which play fine on VLC and/or mplayer. These are the two players I know.

Whenever I try to play a 1080p file, the video is sluggish and quickly desynchronizes from the audio (mplayer) or the sound is choppy (vlc).
    Probably pirated files. Try originals.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Did you try installing from the PPA repository as described in the link I gave you? You shouldn't need to compile anything if you use those.

If you want to give compiling a shot, I'd suggest using the source from the mplayer2 site, then doing the following:

Code:
    sudo apt-get build-essential yasm git autogen autoconf automake libtool
    sudo apt-get build-dep mplayer
    cd /directory/where/you/downloaded/tarball
    tar xjvf mplayer2-build-2.0.tar.bz2
    cd mplayer2-build
    ./init
    make
    sudo make install
    I didn't have auto* and libtool installed even after using build-dep, so I encountered some compiler errors along the way. Once I had all the tools, mplayer2 built pretty easily. It installs to /usr/local by default; the player is /usr/local/bin/mplayer. On my 64-bit machine /usr/local/bin is a symlink to /usr/local/bin32, which appears to be something that mplayer2 created during installation. bin32 has the same timestamp as mplayer.
    There is no 'init' file in the tarball you linked to (mplayer2-build-2.0.tar.bz2)

The problem with the PPA repo is that it will replace my existing mplayer install and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with this. Oh well, it looks like the only option now. I'll give it a shot.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by pieroxy View Post
    There is no 'init' file in the tarball you linked to (mplayer2-build-2.0.tar.bz2)
    I must have built it differently the first time through. Now the README file says to ignore the ./init command when building from the tarball.

Quote Originally Posted by README
    "Basic use" (leave out the "./init" part, the tarball does not need that) details see below.
    Sorry!
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; April 25th, 2011 at 06:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the info. I seem to have a few packages out of date (error below), so I'll update to Natty first and try to compile again.

Any idea when those packages are going to make it to Ubuntu?

Code:
    checking for FONTCONFIG... no
    configure: error: Package requirements (fontconfig >= 2.4.2) were not met:

No package 'fontconfig' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
    installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables FONTCONFIG_CFLAGS
    and FONTCONFIG_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
    See the pkg-config man page for more details.
    make: *** [libass-config] Error 1

Beans

Try a clean install of the distro of your choice, then install VLC and try it. If you are running 9.04, its time to upgrade.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by K_45 View Post
    Try a clean install of the distro of your choice, then install VLC and try it. If you are running 9.04, its time to upgrade.
    I like insightful posts that don't assume you're dumb My distro was up to date (as of yesterday since 11.04 is out today.)

VLC didn't cut it at all, or I don't know how to do it. I will install Natty tonight and try it out again.

Beans
    Distro

So... Here I am again with Natty this time.

mplayer2 compiles fine, but alas, I get no video when playing a file. I have an ATI GC with foss drivers. vlc isn't working either...

I don't mind compiling stuff, but nothing works so far. Has anyone without VDPAU had any luck?

This drives me mad. I have twice the cpu power than my Win box, and I can't play a 1080 movie. On my win box, not only does it use the graphics acceleration, but it uses multi core as well... Oh well. I'll end up reencoding the movie in 720p I guess. Irony, encoding the movie takes up all 4 cores and is actually faster than playing it... (39fps). Go figure.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by K_45 View Post
    K_45, I did just that. Clean install of Natty (amd64). I installed VLC, but no luck. It tops at 25%CPU (1 core) and after a few seconds it becomes choppy. Unusable. Did you have more luck?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12