Thread: Wine 1.2 and Photoshop CS2 extremely slow

Beans

Wine 1.2 and Photoshop CS2 extremely slow

I've just recently switched to Ubuntu 10.10 from Windows XP, and I've got Photoshop CS2 running with Wine 1.2. It works, but it is extremely slow - almost to the point of being unusable. Everything takes ages to load and display. Even navigating through the menu is slow. I have a Radeon HD 3450 graphics card, and my CPU is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5400+. On Windows, I didn't have any issues with speed.

I don't have anything changed in Wine's settings except for a loaded theme - however, it seems to be just as slow without the theme, so I'm thinking that it probably isn't the problem. I also have Compiz/Compiz Fusion (I'm not sure what the difference is, but apparently I have both), and I'm wondering if this could be contributing to the slowness. Does the current version of Wine still have problems with Compiz? I was unable to find recent forum posts on the issue.

As I do a lot of graphics work, being able to use Photoshop is extremely important to me. I love Ubuntu so far, and I'd really like to get this problem worked out. I'm aware of the alternative program, GIMP, but I would prefer to stay with CS2. If anyone has any advice on how I could improve CS2's performance in Wine, that would be great.

Beans

Re: Wine 1.2 and Photoshop CS2 extremely slow

Make sure to close any other applications before opening up Photoshop to save some RAM. That could improve the performance. Also, the version of Wine that you're running is of importance when it comes to the games and applications you intend to use, see the link below for more information:

Photoshop CS2 - WineHQ
    Debian 11 "Bullseye"
    HP Envy 2021 laptop
    Linux user since 1999.