Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Plymouth splash screen basics

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Plymouth splash screen basics

If the plymouth is not accepted it defaults into a blank screen.

Just choose the default ubuntu logo plymouth for now see if it works.

Most of the fixes require setting a different resolution based on the big and ugly ubuntu plymouth(link on my signature).

Usually my simple plymouth script works with nvidia graphics cards. That's the simplest I could make. Sorry.
    Last edited by Jechem; April 21st, 2011 at 03:48 PM.
    MSI CR410X CPU:AMD V120 Video:ATI HD4270 RAM:4GB HDD:250GB
    Ubuntu 10.04 64bit/Windows7 Ultimate 32bit
    fixing plymouth splash screen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

The default plymouth ubuntu logo is working and has been showing since I resolved my black screen issue at first.

I followed the link in your signature but it doesn't seem to match my issue. My resolution seems fine, but I can't change the image.

Are you suggesting that I try to change the resolution anyway?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

no don't change the resolution if it is working properly for you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

you can give this a try:

http://internauta2000.deviantart.com...lash-174707078

it's a nice plymouth theme i use.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Actually, even if there were issues with your video card, with the splash theme set to "manual", there were either (a) graphical glitches, (b) the splash wouldn't load at all, or (c) Plymouth crashes while trying to do so.

To really rule out the video, install the splash "ubuntu-text" and try it:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install plymouth-theme-ubuntu-text
    And, more importantly, please post the outputs of these commands, after selecting anything else than "ubuntu-logo":
    Code:
    ls -al /lib/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth
    ls -al /etc/alternatives/default.plymouth
    Also, you could try reinstalling "plymouth":
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall plymouth

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Jechem View Post
    i personally don't see how trying this theme will help me when i've tried 3 other themes, i'm going to avoid this suggestion without understanding how it can help me solve and understand my problem

@krytarik how will installing a text theme rule out video? i'm fine with doing this but i'd like to understand what i'm doing before i do it.
    after i install the text theme how do i go back to the way it was before?

what do the ls -al commands do?

also, can reinstalling plymouth put me at risk of not being able to boot? what are the risks of reinstalling?

sorry i'm not trying to be hard headed i am simply afraid of blindly entering these commands with no idea of what the outcome could be. i've had alot of problems just trying to accomplish a simple task and i'm trying to take caution and learn more in the process

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dredmal View Post
    i personally don't see how trying this theme will help me when i've tried 3 other themes, i'm going to avoid this suggestion without understanding how it can help me solve and understand my problem
    I wouldn't do that either.
    @krytarik how will installing a text theme rule out video? i'm fine with doing this but i'd like to understand what i'm doing before i do it.
    Jechem pointed to the possibility of insufficient driver combatibility. But we know that the default splash runs just fine (with the framebuffer workaround). So, to be sure that its really not related to a driver issue, we need to try one splash theme that is either comparable with the default splash, or is even more simple, in terms of graphics.
    after i install the text theme how do i go back to the way it was before?
    Just by running the commands you already know too good.
    what do the ls -al commands do?
    They just list the specified files, with all details, in our case the interesting part is their symlink target. At my system the output is this:
    Code:
    krytarik@krytarik-desktop:~$ ls -al /lib/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 34 2011-04-04 16:27 /lib/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth -> /etc/alternatives/default.plymouth
    krytarik@krytarik-desktop:~$ ls -al /etc/alternatives/default.plymouth
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 53 2011-04-04 16:27 /etc/alternatives/default.plymouth -> /lib/plymouth/themes/ubuntu-logo/ubuntu-logo.plymouth
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal
    also, can reinstalling plymouth put me at risk of not being able to boot? what are the risks of reinstalling?
    No, not really. Plymouth is really just the boot splash, one could even disable/remove it at all without affecting the wider system.
    sorry i'm not trying to be hard headed i am simply afraid of blindly entering these commands with no idea of what the outcome could be. i've had alot of problems just trying to accomplish a simple task and i'm trying to take caution and learn more in the process
    I do understand this, and I'm perfectly fine with it. A lot of people are spewing out commands here without even knowing for theirselves what they do, obviously.

Beans
    Distro

i ran the provided command to install the text theme and then ran
    sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth in order to select it as my theme but it is not listed as an option

do i have to use another method to use this theme?
    Last edited by dredmal; April 21st, 2011 at 11:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro

i ran the provided command to install the text theme and then ran
    sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth in order to select it as my theme but it is not listed as an option
    I was thinking -based on some guides about package based install- that it runs the install command itself, apparently not. And I didn't remember what I needed to do to install it. So, just install it manually as an alternative, like the others:
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --install /lib/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth default.plymouth /lib/plymouth/themes/ubuntu-text/ubuntu-text.plymouth 100
    It seems like it's because it usually serves as fallback option, and is installed to another alternative list, "text.plymouth".
    Last edited by Krytarik; April 21st, 2011 at 11:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I got the text theme installed ran the config to select it and ran the initramfs command and rebooted. it still looks the same

But i did notice one piece of information that I incorrectly stated before. What I was calling the ubuntu logo was actually just the text 'ubuntu 10.10' I'm rather embarrassed that I didn't notice that before. It still has the pink background and the red/white dots but the logo itself is plain text, not an image. I'm terribly sorry for any time this oversight may have wasted.

Does this mean I have been using a text theme the entire time? Does this point to the resolution issue? Should I reinstall plymouth?

Sorry once again for making such a silly mistake in my observation. I expect more from myself and I believe I have simply been glazing over when I see that pink color everytime I think I fixed it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast