Thread: Deleting Flash Cookies

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Arrow Deleting Flash Cookies

I use the BetterPrivacy Add-on in Firefox, but is there a way to delete
    flash cookies when using other browsers? FF is my main browser,
    but I also use Opera and Chromium now and then.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Deleting Flash Cookies

You can try this:

http://www.macromedia.com/support/do...manager07.html

Or manually deleting them.

This is the #1 advantage of firefox, IMO, better privacy settings (in general) then other browsers and a wide range of add ons.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    Bookmarked!
    Or manually deleting them.
    Do you know where on your computer the flash cookies are stored?
    This is the #1 advantage of firefox, IMO, better privacy settings (in general) then other browsers and a wide range of add ons.
    I agree that FF is the better choice. But when using FF with NoScript and a couple of cookie-blockers, I've found that sites that use lots of scripts sometimes becomes unstable. Having to click “allow scripts” in the middle of a financial transaction is something that I don't want to do. So I use Opera for net-banking and online-shopping.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Lips View Post
    Bookmarked!

I agree that FF is the better choice. But when using FF with NoScript and a couple of cookie-blockers, I've found that sites that use lots of scripts sometimes becomes unstable. Having to click “allow scripts” in the middle of a financial transaction is something that I don't want to do. So I use Opera for net-banking and online-shopping.
    I open a new private session, allow everything, only connect to financial institutions, allow cookies and everything, do my business, then clear cookies, lock down firefox, and close the private session.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Lips View Post
    Yes

look in ~/.macromedia

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    I open a new private session, allow everything, only connect to financial institutions, allow cookies and everything, do my business, then clear cookies, lock down firefox, and close the private session.
    I guess that's great solution. Haven't thought about that one... Normally I would just click “allow everything on this site” but when you proceed, new scripts are often introduced as you go, which is a bit of a pain since the action you're trying to do can become disrupted.

Thanks a lot for your help!
    Last edited by Dry Lips; April 20th, 2011 at 10:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Personally I linked ~/.macromedia to a directory in /tmp, and /tmp is a RAM disk, so the Flash crap gets deleted every time I reboot. It did require updating rc.local to create the relevant directories in /tmp on every boot though.

You could install bleachbit that does flash and other stuff you select all in one

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I know this thread's been dead a while, but if you're using Gnash (possibly without realising it) you should be aware that the Flash cookies will in fact be stored at

~/.gnash/SharedObjects

and this doesn't seem to be common knowledge!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

And as long as it's been revisited anyway, it might help to point out that BetterPrivacy can be used to remove Flash cookies even when they are put there by other browsers. They all use the same folder for those objects since Flash is a plugin.