Thread: pdf files are opened by gimp AND xpdf crashes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

pdf files are opened by gimp AND xpdf crashes

I have Gimp and Xpdf on my machine and I use Calibre to manage my ebooks. Last night I did not have Gimp installed. Last night (with just Calibre and Xpdf) when I would try to open a pdf ebook through the Calibre interface or through navigating to the folder and opening the file from there - xpdf would crash and the whole system would go down/ crash. The whole o/s I mean. Today (with Calibre, Xpdf, and Gimp) when I try to open a pdf document from the Calibre interface or from the file itself it opens in Gimp. I also do not find a way to open a file from within Xpdf.

I guess, if there were no other way, I would use a different pdf viewer and even uninstall gimp. I like the layout and simplicity of Xpdf though and I haven't seen anything else like it. All the others I've seen have the controls on the top. Xpdf has the controls across the bottom - I think, where they should be. And with Gimp. I need Gimp. I can't just not be able to use anything because nothing seems to ever just work right. How would I get anything done? Sorry. Just a little frustrated here.

I saw this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...le+opened+gimp article but its like trying to read a foreign language. Also, I am using Ubuntu 11.04 with the Unity desktop, not gnome (like they were in the article). Don't know what to do since I really need to get into this book and get some studying done.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

----------------------------------

Update:

I just went ahead and uninstalled xpdf. To heck with it. I found Okular and it seems like a pretty darn good pdf viewer. Uninstalled Gimp too. I would like to get Gimp back though. It's just that I'm sure I'll have that issue w/ it being the default to open pdf and I'm not sure how to deal with that.

Thanks
    Last edited by ClientAlive; April 20th, 2011 at 07:26 AM. Reason: apdate
    “ The best method for accelerating a computer is the one that boosts it by 9.8 m/s2. ”
    - Anonymous

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: pdf files are opened by gimp AND xpdf crashes

I guess my way to solve the issue was to uninstall Gimp and go with a different pdf viewer. I guess I don't mind about he pdf viewer since the one I found seems so much better but I will need to have Gimp sometime. I don't use that type of app often but I do need it sometimes.

Guess it's solved.

Thanks everyone.

Jake
    “ The best method for accelerating a computer is the one that boosts it by 9.8 m/s2. ”
    - Anonymous