Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ATI Graphics & Ubuntu 10.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

ATI Graphics & Ubuntu 10.10?

I recently purchased the HIS ATI Radeon HD 4670 Graphics Card off of newegg for the computer I had recently built, but upon arrival, the back of the box stated, under system requirements, that it's for windows (said no such thing under the description of the purchase, which is why I bought it).

So, is there any kind of compatibility between ATI Graphics Cards and Ubuntu (10.10)? Is it compatible by default, or is there software to be added for compatibility, or any work with the terminal? First time on posting on this forum and all, and yeah, please post your replies

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: ATI Graphics & Ubuntu 10.10?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCadaver View Post
    I recently purchased the HIS ATI Radeon HD 4670 Graphics Card off of newegg for the computer I had recently built, but upon arrival, the back of the box stated, under system requirements, that it's for windows (said no such thing under the description of the purchase, which is why I bought it).

So, is there any kind of compatibility between ATI Graphics Cards and Ubuntu (10.10)? Is it compatible by default, or is there software to be added for compatibility, or any work with the terminal? First time on posting on this forum and all, and yeah, please post your replies
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

find your driver, install it and enjoy

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by marin123 View Post
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

find your driver, install it and enjoy
    hmm, I built the computer with all intel parts, none were amd.

Beans
    Distro

ati graphics card? as in amd ati?

Beans
    Distro

Radeon ATI. Doesn't mention amd or intel anywhere i read, and I've seen intels with Radeon, so..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by TheCadaver View Post
    Radeon ATI. Doesn't mention amd or intel anywhere i read, and I've seen intels with Radeon, so..
    AMD owns ATI. They bought them out quite a while ago.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Just stick the ATI/AMD card in your computer and boot up a live CD of Ubuntu 10.10. It will work with the default driver.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, I'm trying coffeecat's idea now. does it have to be a live cd, or could a normal 10.10 system upgrade directly from the computer work?

I tried to use the graphics card's istallation CD provided in the box, but, being a windows device it obviously didn't work normally. How necessary is this...?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I only suggested a live CD because you didn't post any details of any installed OS that you have. Live CDs are a useful way of seeing how compatible your hardware is with out-of-the-box drivers. You can forget installation CDs. That's a Windows thing. If the default open source driver is not adequate for your needs, you can install the proprietary driver for ATI cards from the Ubuntu repositories.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro

@coffecat, he was asking about ubuntu 10.10 so we know what os he has or will have..

and about drivers for your graphics: you will have a working ubuntu without proprietary drivers but if you need 3d acceleration you will have to install proprietary drivers.

if you get over the fact that your card was manufactured at amd, you can click the link that i posted and choose your card and download driver. i also have ati radeon card in my laptop and i downloaded drivers from that link...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast