Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nero Linux 4 will now install in Natty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Nero Linux 4 will now install in Natty

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog1 View Post
    Burning of BluRays for one - I backup a lot of data and that is a huge benefit for me.

tlcstat - thanks for the info!

The Hedge

You can burn blu-ray discs with existing open-source tools. I use brasero for burning them on my Fedora test box.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by qamelian View Post
    You can burn blu-ray discs with existing open-source tools. I use brasero for burning them on my Fedora test box.
    Does this mean I would have to run a Fedora test box? My distro of choice (and the box where I keep all my data) is Ubuntu.

Or, I can just use Nero 10 and not hassle it.

My time is worth more than the $20 Nero costs.

The Hedge

Look at all those flashing lights! I'll take one!

The Ubuntu Forums - our little Global Village

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by tlcstat View Post
    Lastly, there are a lot of threads on this forum decrying the fact that developers don't port to Linux like they do for Windows. Hence there are tons more software for the Windows environment. This is the biggest reason for the success of Windows. People put up with its failings because of the availability of software. So I think if someone is using a for fee software that has been ported to Linux I should be somewhat grateful that Linux is getting that consideration.
    Financial support for Linux products is important. Nero charges a lot less for their Linux product than the Windows product. I think that is because of the reality that many Linux users want free software and don't realize the non-free software (like what I write to pay the bills) is also part of what makes the world go round. We will never get MS Office, Photoshop and others while the general impression is Linux users would never pay for software.

The Hedge

Look at all those flashing lights! I'll take one!

The Ubuntu Forums - our little Global Village

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog1 View Post
    Does this mean I would have to run a Fedora test box? My distro of choice (and the box where I keep all my data) is Ubuntu.

Or, I can just use Nero 10 and not hassle it.

My time is worth more than the $20 Nero costs.

The Hedge

No, it just means that my Fedora test box is the one that has a Blu-ray burner installed in it.

Actually, before I realized that I could use Brasero (KB3 works too), I was just doing it using command line tools.

Nero is a great product and if it works for you great. I just don't have any reason to buy it because the open source tools already do what I need.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

k3b is a very efficient set of tools similar to nero. but is free and ubuntu approved:
    http://k3b.plainblack.com/about
    * Peppermint 2 * AMD Sempron 2600+ * 1 gig ddr-400 ram * nvidia geforce 6200-512mb agp 8x *
    * AOC 24" @ 1920by1200 * 3G mobile broadband * browsers: chromium / opera *

`Yes that's my dog, his name is mups'

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tlcstat View Post
    Greetings,
    I have been using Nero Burning Rom in Windows since it was originally created. Back in the old days it was the only thing the "real" computer geeks used, primarily for some of the reasons given by The Hedge. Two things that I have used it for is 1. merely backing up data files without corrupting the disk. I get 100% results for this task. 2. for copying Video Vob files to a Video DVD. Same 100% result. The problem with comparisons is that Nero has a lot of capabilities that I have never used nor needed. I am sure the same goes for the repository software. Audio is a big part of the burning needs and I have never burned a single audio disk. So you can see the bias that can enter the opinion process. Of course I have K3B and some of the other highly rated native fair but have not been able to get sufficient results to keep me from using a paid solution. After all blank media costs money, its not just the software that should be considered.
    Don't know how Nero on Linux compares to Nero on Windows. If you are actually using the backup feature in Nero as opposed to just making a copy of the files you want on CD/DVD, I can see how you might prefer Nero.

I have never used the video DVD part of K3b, but it has Video DVD features, does it not make Video disks from .vob files, or is there some additional menu creation stuff that is lacking when comparing to Nero?

I use K3b because it has been more reliable for me than the other native solutions, it's been a long time since I have had any corruption, individual results may vary, and there is always potential for problems during a development cycle.

As far as the cost of blank media goes, at least for the backup part of the equation, if you were *that* worried you would be using re-writable disks, correct? And if you are using rewritable disks for your backups, why not use the same disks for your video disks too?

I'm not even going to ask why you are creating video disks from .vob files.

Later, Seeker
    Last edited by seeker5528; April 23rd, 2011 at 02:22 AM.
    ¨Everybody's trying to be my villain, And I was unaware of the vacancy.¨....
    ¨And maybe someday I will not be destitute, and I will be kicked by a better brand of boot.¨
    --Golden Shoulders

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12