Thread: Is it possible at all to edit panels?

Beans

Is it possible at all to edit panels?

I'm running natty on my laptop and I got a pretty weak battery so I really need a little battery indicator on the panel.

I read somewhere that you're unable to edit the main unity panel at all. Is this true?

Edit: so it seems the battery icon only appears if I'm not running off AC power. But the question is still open =]
    Last edited by Rodayo; April 19th, 2011 at 07:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Is it possible at all to edit panels?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodayo View Post
    I'm running natty on my laptop and I got a pretty weak battery so I really need a little battery indicator on the panel.

I read somewhere that you're unable to edit the main unity panel at all. Is this true?

Edit: so it seems the battery icon only appears if I'm not running off AC power. But the question is still open =]
    try to disconnect from ac power so the icon shows up. then right click on that icon and choose preferences. you should find a check bar to show the icon always. your problem will be solved.
    Ubuntu + Linux = UbunTux !!! Gr8 combo !!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rvchari View Post
    try to disconnect from ac power so the icon shows up. then right click on that icon and choose preferences. you should find a check bar to show the icon always. your problem will be solved.
    Excellent that did it. Thank you =]

But is it true panels won't be customizable?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Rodayo View Post
    Excellent that did it. Thank you =]

But is it true panels won't be customizable?
    you are welcome... i have the same problem for battery so i found this out my way !! (as some wise man said, necessity is the mother of invention!)
    i am using 10.10 and i have compiled gnome-session from git scource. i am able to fully customize my gnome panel (default with maverick) but i cant seem to do that in gnome3 session that runs from my home folder (as i have compiled it manually and didnt opt for sudo install in 2.32 version) infact help in this will be appreciated !
    Ubuntu + Linux = UbunTux !!! Gr8 combo !!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rvchari View Post
    you are welcome... i have the same problem for battery so i found this out my way !! (as some wise man said, necessity is the mother of invention!)
    i am using 10.10 and i have compiled gnome-session from git scource. i am able to fully customize my gnome panel (default with maverick) but i cant seem to do that in gnome3 session that runs from my home folder (as i have compiled it manually and didnt opt for sudo install in 2.32 version) infact help in this will be appreciated !
    Haven't tried gnome3 yet but I'm getting the hang of Unity. Don't really feel the need to customize the panels anymore. Thanks for the help once more =]

Beans

You two should look into running an older kernel version for better battery life at the moment if you're strained for power.

See: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/760131