Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: New scrollbars?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Beans
    364

    Re: New scrollbars?

    I tend to click inside the scrollbar, but not on the thumb. Example, if I want to page up, I hit the big target and click above the thumb, I don't drag it. These new scrollbars are not set up really well for that.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NH USA
    Beans
    1,286
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: New scrollbars?

    Quote Originally Posted by teachop View Post
    I tend to click inside the scrollbar, but not on the thumb. Example, if I want to page up, I hit the big target and click above the thumb, I don't drag it. These new scrollbars are not set up really well for that.
    Ditto.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Beans
    382

    Re: New scrollbars?

    Quote Originally Posted by areteichi View Post
    The only issue I have with it is that I can't hold down the arrows to scroll by small increments. I either have to click or drag the scrollbar itself. If they fix this, I will very much be satisfied.
    My thoughts exactly, although I *can* just hit the pagedown key on my keyboard and it does exactly that...

    To start with I thought they were stupid. Now I've got used to them I feel disappointed when 'old-style' scroll bars show up in an application.
    Registered Linux User #407403

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    13,585

    Re: New scrollbars?

    Quote Originally Posted by pauljwells View Post
    My thoughts exactly, although I *can* just hit the pagedown key on my keyboard and it does exactly that...
    The little arrows on the thumb currently do page up/down , the OP wants them to do line up/down (maybe), probably not going to happen (and one can use the keyboard arrows for that

    One could try filing a bug that a click and hold on the arrows should keep advancing rather than repeated clicks
    Last edited by mc4man; April 26th, 2011 at 09:44 PM.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    96
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: New scrollbars?

    Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    One could try filing a bug that a click and hold on the arrows should keep advancing rather than repeated clicks
    Such a request has already been reported (with many duplicates ):
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-s...ar/+bug/736592

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    13,585

    Re: New scrollbars?

    Quote Originally Posted by areteichi View Post
    Such a request has already been reported (with many duplicates ):
    I was just reading that bug a few min. ago - so it's not in the design plan. ( and doesn't sound like will be

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Midlands UK
    Beans
    291
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: New scrollbars?

    Personally I like it. Works well on a 10" screen netbook with touchpad or a Wacom Bamboo.
    = Fit as a butcher's dog =

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Beans
    1,024
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: New scrollbars?

    Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    The little arrows on the thumb currently do page up/down , the OP wants them to do line up/down (maybe), probably not going to happen (and one can use the keyboard arrows for that

    One could try filing a bug that a click and hold on the arrows should keep advancing rather than repeated clicks
    If the little arrows were actually separate zones that could be acted on differently that the other parts of of the thumb I could see making it so holding the mouse button down would scroll the page.

    But as it is now, clicking one half pages one direction, clicking the other half pages the opposite direction, scrolling when you hold down the mouse button doesn't make sense to me.

    Personally I would rather have two larger targets without scroll zones to hit than four small ones with.

    Are people really finding it that difficult to grab and drag?

    Later, Seeker
    Last edited by seeker5528; April 28th, 2011 at 02:22 AM.
    ¨Everybody's trying to be my villain, And I was unaware of the vacancy.¨....
    ¨And maybe someday I will not be destitute, and I will be kicked by a better brand of boot.¨
    --Golden Shoulders

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    96
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: New scrollbars?

    Quote Originally Posted by seeker5528 View Post
    Are people really finding it that difficult to grab and drag?
    Imagine reading a PDF file (in evince) that is more than 300 pages long. A short drag will easily scroll multiple pages at once and thus makes the dragging utterly useless.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •