Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New scrollbars?

Beans

Re: New scrollbars?

I tend to click inside the scrollbar, but not on the thumb. Example, if I want to page up, I hit the big target and click above the thumb, I don't drag it. These new scrollbars are not set up really well for that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by teachop View Post
    I tend to click inside the scrollbar, but not on the thumb. Example, if I want to page up, I hit the big target and click above the thumb, I don't drag it. These new scrollbars are not set up really well for that.
    Ditto.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by areteichi View Post
    The only issue I have with it is that I can't hold down the arrows to scroll by small increments. I either have to click or drag the scrollbar itself. If they fix this, I will very much be satisfied.
    My thoughts exactly, although I *can* just hit the pagedown key on my keyboard and it does exactly that...

To start with I thought they were stupid. Now I've got used to them I feel disappointed when 'old-style' scroll bars show up in an application.
    Registered Linux User #407403

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pauljwells View Post
    My thoughts exactly, although I *can* just hit the pagedown key on my keyboard and it does exactly that...
    The little arrows on the thumb currently do page up/down , the OP wants them to do line up/down (maybe), probably not going to happen (and one can use the keyboard arrows for that

One could try filing a bug that a click and hold on the arrows should keep advancing rather than repeated clicks
    Last edited by mc4man; April 26th, 2011 at 09:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    One could try filing a bug that a click and hold on the arrows should keep advancing rather than repeated clicks
    Such a request has already been reported (with many duplicates ):
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-s...ar/+bug/736592

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by areteichi View Post
    Such a request has already been reported (with many duplicates ):
    I was just reading that bug a few min. ago - so it's not in the design plan. ( and doesn't sound like will be

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Personally I like it. Works well on a 10" screen netbook with touchpad or a Wacom Bamboo.
    = Fit as a butcher's dog =

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    The little arrows on the thumb currently do page up/down , the OP wants them to do line up/down (maybe), probably not going to happen (and one can use the keyboard arrows for that

If the little arrows were actually separate zones that could be acted on differently that the other parts of of the thumb I could see making it so holding the mouse button down would scroll the page.

But as it is now, clicking one half pages one direction, clicking the other half pages the opposite direction, scrolling when you hold down the mouse button doesn't make sense to me.

Personally I would rather have two larger targets without scroll zones to hit than four small ones with.

Are people really finding it that difficult to grab and drag?

Later, Seeker
    Last edited by seeker5528; April 28th, 2011 at 02:22 AM.
    ¨Everybody's trying to be my villain, And I was unaware of the vacancy.¨....
    ¨And maybe someday I will not be destitute, and I will be kicked by a better brand of boot.¨
    --Golden Shoulders

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by seeker5528 View Post
    Are people really finding it that difficult to grab and drag?
    Imagine reading a PDF file (in evince) that is more than 300 pages long. A short drag will easily scroll multiple pages at once and thus makes the dragging utterly useless.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123