Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PDF Support (Re: OCR)

Beans

PDF Support (Re: OCR)

I have spent the last few days doing a lot of searching for Linux solutions for using OCR in PDF's. From everything I have read it requires scripts, converting, etc and quite honestly is far too much effort with everything else I have to do when trying to get my assignments done for 6 classes.

My question is has anyone released a PDF reader in more recent times that supports OCR? I have installed and tried so much stuff. I was honestly hoping OpenOffice would support it, but don't see it there either.

How come there is such a lacking support for this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: PDF Support (Re: OCR)

In my experience, there isn't a great demand for OCR software. If it's scanning a printed document, then a digital copy likely exists already; if it's hand-written, then I've yet to see software that was any good at interpreting it.

There are some good options and comparisons here:

http://www.splitbrain.org/blog/2010-...are_comparison

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by xtremezj View Post
    I have spent the last few days doing a lot of searching for Linux solutions for using OCR in PDF's. From everything I have read it requires scripts, converting, etc and quite honestly is far too much effort with everything else I have to do when trying to get my assignments done for 6 classes.

My question is has anyone released a PDF reader in more recent times that supports OCR? I have installed and tried so much stuff. I was honestly hoping OpenOffice would support it, but don't see it there either.

How come there is such a lacking support for this?
    I did read that libreoffice supports pdf files. Did you tried libreoffice?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    In my experience, there isn't a great demand for OCR software. If it's scanning a printed document, then a digital copy likely exists already; if it's hand-written, then I've yet to see software that was any good at interpreting it.

There are some good options and comparisons here:

http://www.splitbrain.org/blog/2010-...are_comparison
    I'll take a look at that. The problem with scanned documents is some of my professor's use them exclusively from self generated material, or original documents we can't get our hands on. Since I am a Psychology major it's a lot of reading and I can't search it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by manclip View Post
    I did read that libreoffice supports pdf files. Did you tried libreoffice?
    Lots of things support PDF, it's the OCR thats missing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by xtremezj View Post
    I'll take a look at that. The problem with scanned documents is some of my professor's use them exclusively from self generated material, or original documents we can't get our hands on. Since I am a Psychology major it's a lot of reading and I can't search it.
    I feel your pain; unfortunately I mis-read your original post, and the link I gave you refers to document formats other than PDF. If I come across anything that looks suitable, I'll post back.

Beans

Thanks man

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If your main issue in PDFs that can't be searched (images), this looks like it might be an option. It still requires a command line, but one could probably make a simply script that converts all documents in a folder (and runs with a link/shortcut).

Beans

Sweet man, I'll read up on that today and let you know how it works out

Beans
    Hidden!

There are also some online ocr sites which can "scan and ocr" your pdf files making them into text or word docs, eg
    http://www.newocr.com/
    http://www.onlineocr.net/default.aspx
    I have used both just to try them out with a variety of image formats and they seem very good and accurate, though I think there are number of document limits per user unless you pay or are registered.

I am also now using tesseract v3 for any ocr I do locally. It is superbly accurate in comparison with gocr, which I find a waste of time generally. You could always open your pdf files in gimp and save them as tif files to use tesseract in order to make searchable txt files. A bit of a palaver, but technically possible.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast