Thread: Unetbootin help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Unetbootin help!

I'm trying to make a bootable USB to partition a computer, but Unetbootin does not detect my USB drive any more! I made sure to format it to FAT32. The drive is mounted. Am I missing something? It used to work before!

Thanks.
    Mint 17.3 Cinnamon

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Unetbootin help!

Can you describe the steps you have taken please?

For example, did you start UNetbootin before or after inserting the USB drive?

Is the USB drive recognized at all when inserted?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I inserted the drive, waited for it to mount, then opened Unetbootin. I can copy files to and from the drive just fine, but for some reason Unetbootin can't tell it's there. I also have the latest version of Unetbootin and the older versions have the same issue.

It's just so strange...Unetbootin was working fine with my USB drive only yesterday!
    Mint 17.3 Cinnamon

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

That is odd. The only thing I can suggest is try another USB drive instead. Either that or select the option to show all drives (but please be very careful) just to see if it recognizes it at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have the same issue. The problem is that unetbootin 549 appears to have removed the "show all drives" option.

I also tried both ways: (1) starting unetbootin and then inserting the drive; (2) inserting the drive, waiting for it to mount, then starting unetbootin.

I've formatted the drive using Disk Utility. I also tried formatting it with gparted. Same problems. Any suggestions appreciated.

Beans

I am getting problems with unetbootin version 549, with an iso I am using, (a customised ubuntu 10.10), it will not work in a particular machine I have. However, if I use an earlier version of unetbootin (494) it does work ok in that machine.

edit: same problem (boot error) when simply using ubuntu iso 10.04.3 on usb in the 'problem' machine. Other machines boot the usb as expected ok.
    Last edited by candtalan; August 1st, 2011 at 01:49 PM. Reason: further information