Thread: using tether or ad-hoc networks causes headaches with other networks.

Beans

using tether or ad-hoc networks causes headaches with other networks.

Ok, here is my latest issue. I am trying to configure my android phone (rooted Eris running kaossfroyo 2.2) to be used as a midi controller. Which I am having enough trouble with as it is but it has raised an annoying issue that occurred a month ago when I used the phones tethering network with my laptop. After connecting the laptop to the phones network (either tether, or an Ad-hoc network created using the network manager) I am unable to switch to other networks. In other words when I'm done with the phone-laptop connection I cannot connect my laptop to my home network! When I click on the other network connection I can see that it is attempting to connect in the upper right corner of the desktop (the network icon) but it will not make the connection.

Here is the really weird part. What happens is that the network indicator will make the little circle graphic as if it is trying to connect but it never will display the other circle as green indicating that it has connected. but when I disconnect from the home network that is not connecting I will get a message underneath that will say that ad-hoc network disconnected! If I am switching from the android tether it will say Android-Tether disconnected etc. Even though when I click on network manager it shows that I am attempting to connect to the home network (labeled LIBERTY in my case) upon disconnection it shows the ad-hoc or tether connection being disconnected. I am absolutely baffled by this! The issue persists even after deleting the ad-hoc connection from the wireless settings tab!!!

I would speculate that for some reason the laptop is attempting to connect to the previous ad-hoc connection despite me wanting it to connect to LIBERTY. I am very confused and hope someone can lead me in the right direction. I will get screenshots soon to try and give a better idea of whats going on.

Beans

Re: using tether or ad-hoc networks causes headaches with other networks.

update: problem is resolved upon reboot but connecting to the tether or ad-hoc reproduces the problem