Thread: Compiling software from source

Beans

Compiling software from source

I am confused with the whole compiling software thing. it works only sometimes when i type make and make install. could someone give me some links or tell me the ways to do this? i'd really appreciate it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Compiling software from source

First of all, ensure you have the packages you need to compile from source

Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essentials
    Then, once you download source code, look for a README file and read up on that file. It will usually tell you what other packages or libraries you need to compile the package. You'll need to meet any unmet dependencies before you can compile the code without errors.

The general steps to compiling source code are:

Code:
    ./configure
    make
    sudo make install
    You should take a look at checkinstall if you like compiling from source, as this makes it WAY easier to remove any source programs if you decide you don't need them anymore

Code:
    sudo apt-get install checkinstall
    then instead of running

Code:
    sudo make install
    run this instead

Code:
    sudo checkinstall

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ImDougy View Post
    I am confused with the whole compiling software thing. it works only sometimes when i type make and make install. could someone give me some links or tell me the ways to do this? i'd really appreciate it.
    Some Community Documentation on the subject is at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingSoftware

I definitely agree it's easier to use checkinstall over install. It produces a .deb package and can be far easier to totally uninstall a program using Synaptic Package Manager.

Beans

thanks for the replies guys this helped alot.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

One other hint is to use the "build-dep" directive to apt-get. Suppose I wanted to build mplayer from source. I can run

Code:
    sudo apt-get build-dep mplayer
    and apt will install all the development libraries needed to compile mplayer. build-essential provides the basic tools, but complex programs have lots of other build dependencies which build-dep can usually take care of.