Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Helping a friend to make music...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Helping a friend to make music...

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot7 View Post
    I'd have to agree, having tried to use things such as Ardour and Jack in the past only to be greeted with abmisal failure.

TBH if you're looking for comprehensive music production and recording that'll actually work and work reliably, then the only option is Windows or Mac as platforms, there's plenty both free and un-free DAW packages for both that do the job quite well. Cubase is the one I use myself for all my music production.

Linux doesn't really have anything that can hold a candle to similar software packages. Were it me I'd save myself the trouble and forget about using Linux as a platform for music production.
    Thanks for your post!

Windows won't be an option, a Mac is possible, if all else fails. But for now, we'd like to try using Ubuntu (and the audio packages) first. I've known this man for nearly 20 years now, he has a lot of patience and a great sense of humour. Plus, he already has some good skills and talent to bring to the project, so if there's a way to get this done, we'll find it.
    We don't consider it "trouble" - it's just a learning experience.

I know that at our age the phrase "lots of time" is a relative thing, but still, we have lots of time, no deadlines here.

If I can just get the system and basic software set up (and get him on these forums), I think he'll do fine with it. I hope...we'll see.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Helping a friend to make music...

Quote Originally Posted by jerenept View Post
    Ubuntu Studio uses a real-time kernel, so if you want to get into video editing and Audacity and stuff I'd definitely recommend it over a vanilla Lucid install.
    I see. I didn't know that. My only problem with Ubuntu Studio is that it seems like too much for someone who has no interest in all the video and graphics programs. I guess I could just uninstall what isn't needed.

It certainly can't hurt to give it a try!

Thank you for that information (I'm going to go read more about it now)!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12