Thread: Speakers work in Windows, not linux. Headphones work both.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Speakers work in Windows, not linux. Headphones work both.

My computer had been randomly freezing for a while while running 10.10. I am dual booting Windows 7 and have only had this problem with linux. I have an Intel i7 processor. It seems when searching for a cure, most of the freezes are happening on the i3, i5 and i7 processors, but I could be wrong.

My computer has not been frozen lately, although two unique things have happened. 1) The backlight functions are backwards - Fn+F6 is supposed to dim backlight, but instead brightens, and vice versa.

The other thing that is frustrating me to the point of just using Windows instead of linux is that the speakers are not working. The headphones work with both OS's but the speakers only work in Windows. A while back, I got it working for a little bit, but then it stopped again.

I am not sure what information to put on here to help you, so please let me know, and I will be more than happy to oblige. Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Speakers work in Windows, not linux. Headphones work both.

look at sound settings: system prefs sound
    you can tweak settings with alsamixer too (see synaptic for installation): Applications sound alsamixer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Speakers work in Windows, not linux. Headphones work both.

I had tinkered with alsa and alsamixer and whatever I could find on the web and reboot and reboot and let it sit and it worked. It has gone out again, and I will try to localize my efforts so that I can post exactly which advice you have given corrects issues on this specific computer.

Thank you again for your help. It is very much appreciated.