Thread: [REQUEST] Check if connected, then launch app

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question [REQUEST] Check if connected, then launch app

Hello everybody!

Well, i have some applications that i use everyday so i add them to the startup applications, but they require Internet, otherwise the configuration is lost. I'll like a command that first check if i'm connected to Internet and if i am, launch the app. If not, don't do nothing.

This is a problem because for some reason everytime i turn on my laptop the wireless adapter doesn't turn on automatically (it always did when i was running windows). This is not THAT annoying but if any of you know a solution for this please let me know.

THANKS FOR TAKING YOUR TIME TO READ THIS POST! And 1,000,000 thanks if you post in it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: [REQUEST] Check if connected, then launch app

Number 1 - Right click on your wireless icon. Click on edit settings and set it up so that your wireless connection (broadband card or whatever) is available to All Users. That should hopefully set it to start with the computer and be up and running when you sign in. Some cards act weird though. My Verizon aircard gets mounted as a disk drive and won't connect until I unmount it.

Number 2 - If you want to autostart the applications, consider a shell script that would do the following
    1. Wait for internet connection
    2. Launch your app
    3. Do this on every login

In order to do that, I would recommend a script like this. (please somebody smarter verify that I am doing this correctly)

Code:
    #!bash
    sleep 60 & appname
    save that file as a script. I recommend to save it in /home/username/bin or as a hidden file in your home directory. Either way, when it is saved, chmod +x yourfile.

Then go under start up programs and add yourfile to the list of programs to start up.

If you want to prevent a program from launching without a connection, than I don't know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

THANKS KSEISE!
    I never thought in adding a script before... thanks.
    And about the wireless, set it as available for all users did connect but not on startup, it took like 30 seconds but i'm happy with that.

THANKS AGAIN

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My pleasure. Happy to help. If the network is taking 30 seconds, set the sleep number to 90 in my little script. That is not the ideal solution, but as long as it works, who cares!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb The script i'll use

After your suggestion to use a bash script, i looked for someting like that and get with this page http://forums.techarena.in/operating...ms/1295863.htm using some commands i allready know i came up with this script

#!/bin/bash

sleep 60

WGET="/usr/bin/wget"

$WGET -q http://www.google.com -O /tmp/index.google &> /dev/null
    if [ ! -s /tmp/index.google ];then
    gnome-terminal --execute "/home/donjoseph/Documents/Software/Startup config/No internet.sh"
    else
    /opt/TweetDeck/bin/TweetDeck & emesene & skype
    exit
    fi
    This will wait for my wireless connection to get stablished and then open my applications.

And the bash script named "no internet" is like this

#!/bin/bash

whiptail --title "Internet status" --msgbox "Please connect to internet and run your apps manually." 8 78
    So if i don't have internet, it will display a msg telling me to turn on the wireless.

I JUST TEST BOTH AND WORK PERFECTLY!