Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: xf86-input-mtrack: The Other Multitouch Trackpad Driver

Beans

Re: xf86-input-mtrack: The Other Multitouch Trackpad Driver

My server is back up and the mtrack debs have been rebuilt with the correct install paths. Please try them again.
    Gentoo Developer Extraordinaire

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonX View Post
    My server is back up and the mtrack debs have been rebuilt with the correct install paths. Please try them again.
    Any documentation on how to compile using autoconf and automake for those who are not familiar with these tools?

Beans

i haven't been able to get onto fatalmachine.org for a couple of days now .. including the last couple of hours since it was supposed to be back up .. been holding my breath for trackpad disable on type and click to drag ..
    Last edited by ckisgen; May 30th, 2011 at 05:51 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jamesjenner View Post
    I've got the same problem. I've downloaded the latest but it still gives the error that I must install version 1.8 or later.

I got my version from http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/poo.../x/xutils-dev/, it's xutils-dev_7.6+3_amd64.deb, which appears to be the latest. Not sure how to fix this and I sooo much want the three finger goodness. O.o

:edit:

I'm on 11.04 64bit, if that helps.
    Also on 64bit as well.

It works fine for me on Natty with xutils-dev 1:7.6+1 intalled.

How did ya'll run autotools? If you only do an autoconf && automake it will break every time. You need to do an autoreconf -i
    I tried autoreconf -i and got:
    Code:
    jmurray@jjmvi-mbp-ubuntu:~/projects/mtrack$ autoreconf -i
    configure.ac:3: warning: AC_INIT: not a literal: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=xorg
    configure.ac:24: warning: PKG_PROG_PKG_CONFIG is m4_require'd but not m4_defun'd
    /usr/share/aclocal/xorg-macros.m4:1124: XORG_INSTALL is expanded from...
    /usr/share/aclocal/xorg-macros.m4:1105: XORG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS is expanded from...
    configure.ac:24: the top level
    configure.ac:3: warning: AC_INIT: not a literal: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=xorg
    configure.ac:24: warning: PKG_PROG_PKG_CONFIG is m4_require'd but not m4_defun'd
    aclocal.m4:1145: XORG_INSTALL is expanded from...
    aclocal.m4:1126: XORG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS is expanded from...
    aclocal.m4:1145: XORG_INSTALL is expanded from...
    aclocal.m4:1126: XORG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS is expanded from...
    configure.ac:17: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_DISABLE_STATIC
          If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
          See the Autoconf documentation.
    configure.ac:18: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
    autoreconf: /usr/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1

Beans

Then execute the full toolchain:

libtoolize && aclocal && autoconf && automake -c --add-missing

Beans

The server really is back up now. Had some DNS configuration that got overlooked.

Beans

Now I could download the new driver, and it looks perfect! I'm testing it now, but my first impression was that it works like the original apple driver. Thanks again for your work!
    I've installed the dispad too but I'm able write and move the cursor simultaneously.
    Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by joskapista View Post
    Now I could download the new driver, and it looks perfect! I'm testing it now, but my first impression was that it works like the original apple driver. Thanks again for your work!
    I've installed the dispad too but I'm able write and move the cursor simultaneously.
    Thanks
    Ah, server is working again and I downloaded 0.2 deb files.

My impressions are that all is well except for two issues out of the box:

--up scrolling is not smooth and doesn't work as nicely as scrolling down

--pressing the button with your thumb makes the cursor jump around. As in, hover over a link, and double tab the trackpad with your thumb makes the cursor jump around, so it's not precise. This is an issue that I had using the original ubuntu trackpad driver as well.

--it seems that the click and drag (like selecting icons in nautius is better now)

All in all, a tough project indeed to tackle as in my experience, Apple has somehow finely tuned their driver to work exceptionally well. Other one-button trackpads, including a newer one from lenovo's x220, indeed are not smooth at all. I would recommend your trackpad driver as the best of the bunch for ubuntu.

Feature request: a horizontal zone to emulate the "old" macbook pro trackpad. This trackpad is the one right before the current buttonless trackpads. I am thinking that dedicating say, the bottom horizontal 25% of the mbp's trackpad to being exclusively a button will go a long way to enable the trackpad to work properly a la the native apple driver. I suspect that many people rest their thumbs on the bottom edge of the trackpad, and this tends to mess things up when two-finger scrolling and when clicking on links, etc.
    Last edited by unagimiyagi; May 31st, 2011 at 02:04 AM.

Beans

Thanks for a really great driver!
    However, is it possible to include the Option "BottomEdge" setting, so when you use click and drag, your thumb doesn't move the pointer?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by unagimiyagi View Post
    --up scrolling is not smooth and doesn't work as nicely as scrolling down

--pressing the button with your thumb makes the cursor jump around. As in, hover over a link, and double tab the trackpad with your thumb makes the cursor jump around, so it's not precise. This is an issue that I had using the original ubuntu trackpad driver as well.
    I've not been able to reproduce either of these issues. How are you holding your fingers? I need to know how much pressure (roughly) you're putting on the pad, how close your fingers are together, and at what angle you're touching.

--it seems that the click and drag (like selecting icons in nautius is better now)
    The tap-to-drag settings are adjustable. Check out the readme and tweak them till you like them.

Feature request: a horizontal zone to emulate the "old" macbook pro trackpad. This trackpad is the one right before the current buttonless trackpads. I am thinking that dedicating say, the bottom horizontal 25% of the mbp's trackpad to being exclusively a button will go a long way to enable the trackpad to work properly a la the native apple driver. I suspect that many people rest their thumbs on the bottom edge of the trackpad, and this tends to mess things up when two-finger scrolling and when clicking on links, etc.
    It would go well with the button zones feature, yes. I may implement this in the next feature release. I'm considering implementing edge scrolling and coasting as well.

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast