Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11.04 beta 2... still no backlight

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

11.04 beta 2... still no backlight

still no backlighting when installing ubuntu 11.04 beta 2... I have no idea what happened but in the alpha's, everything worked fine but with both of the beta's I haven't been able to get the screen to show any backlighting. I have to shine a flashlight on the screen just to figure out what the desktop looks like. This happens with every distro but xubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: 11.04 beta 2... still no backlight

I have no backlight, but I also can't boot.

When I put in my live CD (or usb) I get a GRUB screen without backlight. When I press ENTER, nothing happens. When I press 'e' in GRUB, I can see the edit window, but I have tried different commands (nomodeset, noapic, acpi=off) and the only thing I get when I press CTRL+X is the line "booting from command list" or something like that. The CD spins a while, but then every activity stops. Same with the USB: the light flickers a while, but then every activity stops.

I have not tried other *buntu versions.

@poodoopealeoaph: can you install unity on xubuntu without problems?

Beans

Delete, see next message.
    Last edited by satet; April 17th, 2011 at 02:59 AM.

Beans

I have the sane problem with a Toshiba Satellite A665D-S6059. At least it boots without additional boot options. The 10.10 live disk would only boot with the option acpi = off, but the backlights then worked. That was an unacceptable option because so many important features were then inoperable.

Beans
    Distro

Well, I thought that I didn't have any problems with installing xubuntu 11.04 beta 2 but I tried it again and it happened... I've been desperate to try openSUSE also. So, when I tried to install the new version of that, it also gave me no backlighting. So, I am lead to believe that there is something wrong with the new linux kernel because I've tried all of the new ubuntu distros, the new linux-mint, and all of the openSUSE distros... all with the same result of no backlighting after it begins install.

I did read on an openSUSE thread that choosing nomodset and making grub do nomodset every time you boot will fix the problem because there is some glitch in the new kernel that tries to load an nvidia driver on boot even if you don't have an nvidia card. So, I tried nomodset for Kubuntu 11.04 and it didn't cut the backlight off for the entire install but once it rebooted, it didn't have backlighting again because I haven't figured out how to get nomodset to happen in grub every time you boot...

Beans
    Hidden!

for setting bot options, see my signature

but I think my problem is worse. setting nomodeset didn't work.

Beans
    Distro

I figured out that the claims that having an Nvidia card in your computer really does work! I accidentally put one of my beta disks in my desktop (which is stuck with ******* for at least the next few weeks) and it booted up to the desktop and gave me backlighting. So... hopefully they fix the glitch that is making things mess up for other video cards but in the case that you have an extra computer that has an nvidia card in it, try out the newer versions with that system.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

The backlight of my laptop does not work with the ubuntu 11.04 LiveCD. It is a recent acer 7715z with intel gma4500m graphic chip.

Beans

If you are using an Apple Notbook or iMac the following may be of use to you, though I could be misunderstanding your definition of "backlight".

If the backlight you are talking about means the ability to control the brightness of the screen on your Macbook Pro or iMac type display? (quite likely other versions as well)

Then this little piece of code which I have been using for years on my iMac (on Arch) allows me to set the screen brightness on boot, as the iMac's default is far too bright for the comfort of my eyes.

I put the code & the info' about it into a wiki article I wrote roughly 3 years ago, it may help someone here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...en_brightness:

Beans
    Distro

no I don't mean that I can't control the brightness of the screen. When I say no backlight I mean that there is no light at all coming from the screen. If you shine a bright flashlight on the screen however, you can see that it is starting the system up and showing the live cd desktop.... as for the guy above you though, though you have a nice video card, since it isn't an nvidia card, you probably won't have backlighting until they make a fix... however long that will be..

I really hope this whole thing isn't a linux scheme to get people to only buy nvidia...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast