Thread: Ubuntu 10.10 TrueCrypt Slow SATA R/W

Beans

Ubuntu 10.10 TrueCrypt Slow SATA R/W

I have a default install of Ubuntu 10.10 and am trying to use TrueCrypt on my internal SATA HDD's. In windows and Debian I can get R/W speeds @ 60MB/s (with TrueCrypt) but with Ubuntu I see only 20MB/s, consistently. Strangely, though, I have seen 60MB/s on a few occasions with Ubuntu.
    I have tried using IDE emulation and SATA RAID via my motherboard with the same results. I specify using TrueCrypt because if I use the Disk Utility to perform benchmarks, its reports show a R/W speed around 64MB/s. I understand TrueCrypt can slow drive R/W, but as I have said the same drive reads @ 60MB/s on Windows 7 and Debian testing. I like Ubunutu but like it is times like this I want to go back completely to Debian!! Any help would be appreciated.
    Steve

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 TrueCrypt Slow SATA R/W

As a sort of update, I also tried copying from SATA drive to SATA drive, @ 30MB/s in ubuntu and 60MB/s in Debian. Maybe this is a kernel module issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 TrueCrypt Slow SATA R/W

I also use truecrypt and typically see approx. 20MB/sec transfer rate but I use external encrypted drives to backup my data to. I don't have any of my internal drives encrypted with Truecrypt....I use the functionality within Ubuntu to encrypt my home folder which is a separate partition on my hard drive.