Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Power Mangement Bug: HP DM1Z

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Possible Power Mangement Bug: HP DM1Z

Hey everyone,

I recently bought a dm1z and posted on this forum the power problem I had. The dm1z would drain the battery about 10% per day that it wasn't used. After looking into this problem a little more, I found out that the wireless card and ethernet card still had power after shutting down any variant of ubuntu. After completing a fresh install of allot of ubuntu variants with an ethernet cable plugged in, I would remove the power supply, shut down the system and still see that power is being supplied to the ethernet port after shutdown (the dm1z has an led to signify that the port is still receiving power). The led would only shut off if I removed the battery and reinserting it meaning that it continually drained the battery even after shutdown . So I was just wondering if anyone with the dm1z has a similar power problem which would mean that's its either a hardware problem, a software problem or just my configuration?

Thanks for any help,

-Red
    Last edited by Redblade20XX; April 15th, 2011 at 05:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Possible Power Mangement Bug: HP DM1Z

Yes, I can confirm this problem. Left my DM1Z on the shelf for 2 weeks and the battery drained to 0%.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Possible work-around. The laptop seems to properly power off if you hold the power button down for 4 seconds. So:

1. From within Linux, select "Reboot" instead of "Power Off".
    2. When the system has restarted and gotten to the BIOS, hit escape (to keep it from going further).
    3. Hold down the power button for 4 seconds.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by i_grok View Post
    Possible work-around. The laptop seems to properly power off if you hold the power button down for 4 seconds. So:

1. From within Linux, select "Reboot" instead of "Power Off".
    2. When the system has restarted and gotten to the BIOS, hit escape (to keep it from going further).
    3. Hold down the power button for 4 seconds.
    Thanks for the confirm! I'm guessing this is a temp fix?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade20XX View Post
    Thanks for the confirm! I'm guessing this is a temp fix?
    Yes, this is definitely temporary! But it should work until the Linux kernel/Ubuntu shutdown is fixed. It's beyond my expertise - I would not expect a quick fix.

Beans

Just confirming that as of Ubuntu 11.04 (desktop AMD64 version), the DM1-3010AU (E-350 1.6GHz, Radeon 6310, 320Gb HD, 2Gb DDR3, gigabit ethernet, wireless and bluetooth), which is similar to the DM1Z, also suffers this bug. The ethernet port stays lit up even though the machine should be off, and the battery loses about 10% per day, and will go to 0% (this happens even if no ethernet cable is plugged in, to be clear).

Removing the battery and putting it back in turns it off properly. I never thought about the 4 second power button thing (even though I'm well aware of it) .. thanks, nice workaround

Beans

This all probably has something to do with Wake-On-LAN.

If the networking hardware does not have power, WOL will not work.

I would say that this will NOT be fixed in a future version.

The trick is to learn how to disable WOL, at which point the networking hardware should shut down completely.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fbachofner View Post
    This all probably has something to do with Wake-On-LAN.

If the networking hardware does not have power, WOL will not work.

I would say that this will NOT be fixed in a future version.

The trick is to learn how to disable WOL, at which point the networking hardware should shut down completely.
    It maybe but I'm suspecting the wireless driver first, we had to patch it with unofficial "non-ubuntu developer" patches to get it to function on the dm1z. The Bios has an option for WOL but it's disabled.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I had been forgetting about the workaround from time to time, so I decided I needed something better.

You can force Ubuntu to shutdown without powering off the system, which then allows you to use the power button. To achieve this, you need to edit /etc/default/halt to contain:

Code:
    HALT=halt
    I should also mention that I've been keeping a running tab of these DM1Z issues on my blog and it appears that users of other distros are seeing the same problems.
    Last edited by i_grok; June 1st, 2011 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Cleanup link.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by i_grok View Post
    I had been forgetting about the workaround from time to time, so I decided I needed something better.

You can force Ubuntu to shutdown without powering off the system, which then allows you to use the power button. To achieve this, you need to edit /etc/default/halt to contain:

Code:
    HALT=halt
    I should also mention that I've been keeping a running tab of these DM1Z issues on my blog and it appears that users of other distros are seeing the same problems.
    I sent you some questions (in your blog) regarding an existing opened bug.
    In my case I think I only have the poweroff problem.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast