Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Possible Power Mangement Bug: HP DM1Z

psusi is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Possible Power Mangement Bug: HP DM1Z

Strange, wol is enabled, but /proc/acpi/wakeup doesn't show that wakeup is enabled. They should agree.

At any rate, if your bios does not have an option to disable WOL, then check for an update and/or complain to the manufacturer.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by psusi View Post
    Strange, wol is enabled, but /proc/acpi/wakeup doesn't show that wakeup is enabled. They should agree.

At any rate, if your bios does not have an option to disable WOL, then check for an update and/or complain to the manufacturer.
    Ironically, I've found an advance bios menu for the dm1z and under this advance bios menu there is a setting called wake up on pme and external network adapter that was enabled. Currently, I've disabled those setting and testing whether or not this has an effect on the battery life.

Anyways thanks for your help, psusi!!!! =D>

- Red

Beans
    Distro

Can you check if /proc/acpi/wakeup and ethtool changed because of that setting?

Beans
    Distro

After 12 hours of testing with the external network adapter and wake on pme disabled, the battery is still at 100%. It's looking good so far but a couple more hours of testing won't be bad.

For anyone who wants to try this out by getting into the advanced bios mode,

***Note***: My bios version is F.03 but the most current one is F.12. I've heard rumors that the upgraded bios blocks the advance mode option so if it doesn't work, check your bios version. Don't really know if it's true since I haven't updated the bios. Also if your bios doesn't allow the advance mode option, you can google to mod the bios to allow the advance mode but be careful, you can screw up your computer really bad and also void the warranty, if any!!!

After shutting down or restarting the system, during start up when the bios screen boots, press the escape button and you'll be in a menu with configurations such as boot order. Press the "F10" key and immediately after press the "A" key. This will enable the advance bios option and unlock more menus for configuration. Under the advance tab, there is an option for "AMD PBS Option" and under that tab there will be options that will enable certain functions on the motherboard such as bluetooth, camera, wifi, etc. Look for an option called "external lan controller" and disable it (I think this has to due with wol). After wards, press "escape" key to return to the main bios configuration menu and move to a tab called "Power". Under that menu look for an option called "Wake on PME" (also has something to do with wol) and disable it also. Afterwards, press the "F10" key to save the bios. From this point on, you can test to see if there still is that 10% drain per day.

Here is a a youtube video pertaining to the bios advance mode:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-9XFejk0_w

In the description box there is also the instructions on how to activate it without reading my wall of text.

Good luck to all who wish to test this out!!

-Red

Beans
    Distro

Can you check if /proc/acpi/wakeup and ethtool changed because of that setting?
    Sure! Here is the contents of wakeup:

Code:
    Device  S-state   Status   Sysfs node
    PB4       S0    *disabled  pci:0000:00:04.0
    XPDV      S5    *disabled  pci:0000:01:00.0
    PB5       S0    *disabled  pci:0000:00:05.0
    USB0      S3    *disabled  pci:0000:00:12.0
    USB4      S3    *disabled  pci:0000:00:12.2
    P2P       S0     disabled  pci:0000:00:14.4
    And ethtool:

Code:
    Settings for eth0:
            Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
            Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
                                    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full 
                                    1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full 
            Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
            Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
                                    100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full 
                                    1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full 
            Advertised pause frame use: No
            Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
            Speed: 10Mb/s
            Duplex: Half
            Port: MII
            PHYAD: 0
            Transceiver: internal
            Auto-negotiation: on
            Supports Wake-on: pumbg
            Wake-on: d
            Current message level: 0x00000033 (51)
            Link detected: no
    Looks pretty good so far!!

Beans
    Distro

Alright!! After 24 hours of testing, the battery is still at 100% () therefore I can conclude that the power management bug was due to wake on lan being enabled by the bios and the fix is to get into the advance bios menu and disable the two items I've stated before. I'm guessing the os, for some reason, couldn't handle management of the wake on lan process and shutting it off in the bios is a remedy.

Thanks for all the responses by all the people in this thread because without you guys I wouldn't have snooped around more and get a fix!!!!

Again thanks and finally, thread closed!=D>

-Red

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade20XX View Post
    I'm guessing the os, for some reason, couldn't handle management of the wake on lan process and shutting it off in the bios is a remedy.
    No, the problem is that you had WOL enabled, and that takes power. The OS doesn't really have anything to do with it.

Beans
    Distro

No, the problem is that you had WOL enabled, and that takes power. The OS doesn't really have anything to do with it.
    Oh, okay! Btw, the advance bios menu was hidden with no indication that it existed so I didn't know you could disable it which caused the origin of this thread. Also this computer came with it enabled so "I" didn't "enable" it.
    Last edited by Redblade20XX; June 17th, 2011 at 11:39 PM.

Beans

LOL. I'm glad I responded to this topic. I just realized that my dv6 laptop has the same crippled BIOS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have BIOS version F.05 and was still able to get into the advanced BIOS options. For reference, my DM1Z laptop was ordered in March 2011.

Also, I'd like to note that disabling "External lan controller" in the advanced settings does not actually disable the wired ethernet device. It's clearly just a poorly named setting.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast