Re: ATI graphics card

bump

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ok. these are the steps i followed:
    But before you start you may have partially installed fglrx, so run the following:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev* xorg-driver-fglrx
    Then:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential cdbs fakeroot dh-make debhelper debconf libstdc++6 dkms libqtgui4 wget execstack libelfg0
    Only use the next one if your using 64bit!!
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
    Code:
    cd ~/; mkdir catalyst11.3; cd catalyst11.3/
    Code:
    wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver-installer-11-3-x86.x86_64.run
    Code:
    chmod +x ati-driver-installer-11-3-x86.x86_64.run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-radeon
    Code:
    sh ati-driver-installer-11-3-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/maverick
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb
    Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial -f
    Then reboot, you may have to reboot twice.
    That should sort it.
    Last edited by cottfcfan; April 19th, 2011 at 08:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Ok! Im gonna try em out ^^

Ok! Tried it but it looks glitchy, actually it works better since quadrapassel was not showing at all (Blinking all the time) Well Quadrapassel is a good option to start cause it does require basic graphics... what is happening is that it only blinks when a new piece is appearing or a line is completed... it's better! Thanks a lot! But it requires something else.. I don't know what
    Last edited by Julian Luna; April 19th, 2011 at 07:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro

cottfcfan D:

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi Julian,
    Tried Quadrapassel, and works fine for me.
    I'm using the radeon HD2400 card which in theory is not as good as yours.
    Make sure your drivers are installed correctly. Type "fglrxinfo" in a terminal, and make sure it looks something like this:
    Code:
    display: :0.0  screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO
    OpenGL version string: 3.3.10600 Compatibility Profile Context
    Ive also atached my xorg.conf which may help.
    If you change anything run:
    Code:
    sudo aticonfig --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf --tls=1
    afterwards and reboot.
    Other than that I can't really help, ATI & Linux never have worked that well together, just waiting for the OSS Drivers to come up to speed.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by cottfcfan; April 21st, 2011 at 07:27 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Luna View Post
    Are 512 MB something good in order to run properly the gnome's desktop max effects and also this 4D games kind of WoW?
    just so you know - running desktop effects and virtualizing "graphic intensive" games can make a lag even with better dedicated card and drivers. Compiz (the thing that makes the effects) has a tendency to act out even with a dedicated card. So it's best to turn it off (turn off desktop effects) when running games especially if you run them via WINE which in itself can eat up memory as well as CPU.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro

Hello friend! I have good news!
    It might not be the graphic card cause... the first fact I might mention is: I opened right now Quadrapassel (Which is the ridiculous example we're managing). And it's actually running worst! But there's a new factor that has changed... I'm running atm a VirtualBox to which I assigned around 128mb of my 512mb of graphic memory (The max I could)... it might be probably issue of the Ram memory that I have (Just 2 gigas) Or issue of the graphic memory that I splitted. Because here's what the fglrxinfo showed me:
    (If you can tell me how to make textboxes it'd be fine cause I can't figure it out on the toolbox)

julian@julian-A780GM-A:~$ fglrxinfo
    display: :0.0 screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
    OpenGL version string: 1.4 (3.3.10600 Compatibility Profile Context)

So if we check it's not really far from what yours is... there's nothing that looks differently wierd

I don't exactly remember in which folder to find my xorg.xonf files... ohwait it was on the page you gave me, here it is I found it... (Processing) Ok there are many different issues between your file and mine... the first thing I might ask, of a bunch of facts that I might mention is:

1.- Did you rename your [xorg.conf] file to [xorg.conf.odt] yourself in order to be able to upload it? Or it was as .odt suffix by itself? Because on my folder [etc/X11] there's just a [xorg.conf] file which it isn't as [.odt], and I can open on text editor.

2.- Your file is clearly opened by OpenOffice Word Processor, so I tried the first syncronization in order to be able to open your file on Text Editor, hence I removed the [.odt] suffix and tried to open it on Text Editor but there's a message I got:

Could not open the file /home/julian/Downloads/xorg.conf.

gedit has not been able to detect the character encoding.
    Please check that you are not trying to open a binary file.
    Select a character encoding from the menu and try again

Which is an issue that I don't get when I open my [xorg.conf] file. But in fact; if I open your [xorg.conf.odt] file on Word Processor (Since I can't manage to open it on Text Editor) and also open my [xorg.conf] file on Text Editor, they display almost the same thing, I will not copy what yours dislplay cause you already know and I won't copy what's on mine in order not to spam you... but I found some differences (Will mark em on red)

A) Yours:
    Section "Module"
    EndSection

B) Mine:
    Section "Module"
    Load "glx"
    EndSection

C) Yours:
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    Driver "fglrx"
    Option "UseFastTLS" "1"
    BusID "PCI:2:0:0"
    EndSection

D) Mine:
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    Driver "fglrx"
    BusID "PCI:2:0:0"
    EndSection

That's all about the differences, having in mind that yours I can't open on Text Editor but only Word Processor even if I erase the [.odt] suffix. Before I edit/change anything... which essential modifications shall I do in order to have em on the same format/code/etc to open both on the same program?

3.- Another thing that's worying me is that at the same folder there's a file [xorg.conf.fglrx-0] do you also have this one file on your folder?

But there's another thing that I might mention; tibia, which is a game that requires way too much more graphical memory than quadrapassel; runs perfectly well. Then I don't know why the horrendous Quadrapassel does not run well... not that I like that game but it's something that wories me...

One last question is, normally how much graphical memory does the dedicated graphic cards have? Mine is not dedicated and I have read that it has 512mb but VirtualBox does not let me assign more than 128mb is there a chance that what I have read was wrong and I only have 128? Thanks people

mastablasta hello! I didn't see your response before sending mine, yeah :/ I think compiz sucks a lot for my needs... I have my desktop effects on medium probably i'm turning em completely OFF! D:

Sincerely, Julian Luna and sorry for my lame english

Edit: Should I be able to run games under a VirtualBox? Cause they keep crashing I think because of the graphics...
    Last edited by Julian Luna; April 21st, 2011 at 09:17 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi Julian,
    Theres nothing wrong with your xorg.conf, and yes i copied and pasted mine into open office because it would not upload.
    I also didn't realize you were running ubuntu in virtual box.
    The fact it is only assigned 128/512 mb memory will cause it a big hit.
    Why don't you try dual booting and installing it on your hard drive, chances are it will run a lot better, but never having used virtualbox I don't know.
    Anyway I don't see you have any real issues there.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

virtualisation takes (and needs) a lot of CPU and RAM. Porbably the cards GPU is not even utilized in it but instead all porcessing is likely done by CPU instead. Which increases the load.

8GB+
    dual or Quad core CPU should increase virtualization experience. Otherwise unless necessary the OS is better run in normal environment. Even Wubi (which still uses some virtualization) will be slower than real install.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro

No, I got missunderstood, my host is Ubuntu 10.10 and i'm running as Guest Windows XP :] I also already thought on installing Seven on another partition

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast