Thread: Broadcom BCM4311 won't work using latest amd64, even after drivers installed

Beans

Exclamation Broadcom BCM4311 won't work using latest amd64, even after drivers installed

I am using Natty Daily 13-04-2011 (2nd rev) on an HP DV6231eu, which has a Broadcom BCM4311 WiFi card. I installed Natty amd64, set the DVD to be the only repo, temporarily, installed the drivers, restarted and it says "installed" and the little icon is green, but not Wifi interface is found/available/up.

iwconfig shows wlan0 is absent.

Not a good start really - any ideas? (I'm aware it's a Beta, before anyone reminds me).

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Broadcom BCM4311 won't work using latest amd64, even after drivers installed

Wifi is all sorts of b0rked in natty

Beans

Re: Broadcom BCM4311 won't work using latest amd64, even after drivers installed

Quote Originally Posted by theanswriz42 View Post
    Wifi is all sorts of b0rked in natty
    I'm sure (I hope) they'll sort it

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I only have wireless in a 32-bit system, so I don't know if this will work for you or not.

I got mine working via a solution posted in the following bug report (see Post 5). You uninstall the STA driver and then "sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer b43-fwcutter".
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/732038
    I imagine it will be fixed, as Mark Shuttleworth indicated it's affecting him as well in a duplicate bug thread.
    Last edited by drs305; April 15th, 2011 at 02:20 AM.
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    I only have wireless in a 32-bit system, so I don't know if this will work for you or not.

I got mine working via a solution posted in the following bug report (see Post 5). You uninstall the STA driver and then "sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer b43-fwcutter".
    I imagine it will be fixed, as Mark Shuttleworth indicated it's affecting him as well in a duplicate bug thread.
    It's never good to break the boss man's system

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by youbuntu View Post
    I am using Natty Daily 13-04-2011 (2nd rev) on an HP DV6231eu, which has a Broadcom BCM4311 WiFi card. I installed Natty amd64, set the DVD to be the only repo, temporarily, installed the drivers, restarted and it says "installed" and the little icon is green, but not Wifi interface is found/available/up.

iwconfig shows wlan0 is absent.

Not a good start really - any ideas? (I'm aware it's a Beta, before anyone reminds me).

Thanks
    Instead of actually restarting, do the install of the driver but make the last step...
    Code:
    sudo modprobe wl
    and then connect to your wireless router. If you are using the b43 driver instead of the STA driver, use "b43" without quotes instead of "wl".

I just did this an hour ago for my fresh Natty install with a BCM4312 and the STA driver.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by TBABill View Post
    Instead of actually restarting, do the install of the driver but make the last step...
    Code:
    sudo modprobe wl
    and then connect to your wireless router. If you are using the b43 driver instead of the STA driver, use "b43" without quotes instead of "wl".

I just did this an hour ago for my fresh Natty install with a BCM4312 and the STA driver.
    TBABill what kernel are you running? I have been running the B43 but thought above trying the STA driver again at least on one of my Natty Installs.
    Boot Info Script
    Ubuntu User number is # 32763
    Linux User number is # 527179

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am not on my machine now, but it's whatever kernel is in Natty Beta 2. My BCM4312 is not supported by the b43 so I always use the wl instead.

Beans

Having the same problem with the BCM4311 using the 64 bit version of Natty Narwal on a HP dv6105us

The STA driver is installed and "green"

lsmod shows the wl driver running

Code:
    # lsmod | grep wl
    wl                   2568244  0 
    lib80211               14991  1 wl
    After unloading the driver and reloading it, this is what dmesg shows:

Code:
    [  513.765832] wl 0000:03:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
    [  513.769128] malloc in abgphy done
    [  513.769319] eth%d: 5.100.82.38 driver failed with code 21
    I finally removed the STA driver and used the B43 as described in this link and it is now working:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...77/comments/10
    Last edited by rarsa; April 17th, 2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: More information

Beans

Talking Re: Broadcom BCM4311 won't work using latest amd64, even after drivers installed

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post

Thanks you so much!
    <----- Goku