Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Screen on boot after upgrading to 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Black Screen on boot after upgrading to 11.04

Quote Originally Posted by jakewc2 View Post
    ok, how did you install the daily build? I now have three partitions, I want to get rid of the Ubuntu 11.04 partition, and try again, but I dont know how to do that.
    You can get the Daily Build from here. When you select the partition to install to, just, use the one that you currently have 11.04 on - I believe the option is 'Something else' and mount it / Also make sure you select and tick the format box.
    Intel E5700 G41 8Gb Xubuntu 13.10, Ubuntu 13.4, WinXP.
    Revo R3610 Win7 Pro, Ubuntu 13.04

Absolute Beginners Compiz-fusion wiki Local Weather

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tormod View Post
    "Black screen" can unfortunately mean many things. Is the backlight turned off? You should be able to determine this by looking at the screen in a dark room. Can you switch to a console with ctrl-alt-F1? Can you log into it from another machine? Would be nice to get the output from the "dmesg" command.

You should be able to block the intel KMS driver by booting with "i915.broken=1" as a kernel option. The unrecognized "broken" module option will keep the module from loading, and X will fall back to the vesa driver. Then you can access the kernel messages in /var/log/kern.log*.

If it is not the backlight, the more general question would be, is the screen black because there is something wrong in X or KMS while there really is something on the screen, or is the boot process stuck at a point where the screen should be painted black?

More tricks here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/BlankScreen

Hi, well, I had to install Maverick back, and deleted the Natty installation. I could just see the sign in screen at the back ground, but the screen was black, I could hit Fn+F6 and the screen back light would flash on for a second, then turn off again. I didnt try logging in from another machine. I am writing from the machine using Maverick reinstall, and backlight works perfectly. I could enter via an older kernel, and it would show Natty, but it wasnt the right kernel. Even trying to install via a live cd, as soon as the screen for the installation started, it went back. Its Natty side, not Acer side.

As far as the other stuff you mentioned, I am lost, I dont understand what you were trying to tell me. I do learn quickly though.

Beans

To debug this (so that you hopefully one day can run Natty and later versions) please install the latest natty kernel onto your maverick system. Get the linux-image-2.6.38-8-generic_2.6.38-8.42_i386.deb from https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux and install it (it will also keep the old maverick kernel, no worries). Then select the new kernel at boot, and after you get the dark screen you can restart with ctrl-alt-F1 ctrl-alt-del. Now choose the old maverick kernel again (2.6.35). Go through /var/log/kern.log* and find the corresponding log (search for 2.6.38 in it) and attach this log to your bug report. Create the bug report with "ubuntu-bug xserver-xorg-video-intel". TIA.

PS. You can afterwards remove the new kernel package, or edit /etc/default/grub to choose the maverick one by default (GRUB_DEFAULT=2).
    Please use launchpad to search for/report bugs and problems: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Williams View Post
    I was getting into a gui using recovery > failsafe graphics for this session.
    Then recent updates fixed video drivers.
    Thanks! This worked for me

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tormod View Post
    To debug this (so that you hopefully one day can run Natty and later versions) please install the latest natty kernel onto your maverick system. Get the linux-image-2.6.38-8-generic_2.6.38-8.42_i386.deb from https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux and install it (it will also keep the old maverick kernel, no worries). Then select the new kernel at boot, and after you get the dark screen you can restart with ctrl-alt-F1 ctrl-alt-del. Now choose the old maverick kernel again (2.6.35). Go through /var/log/kern.log* and find the corresponding log (search for 2.6.38 in it) and attach this log to your bug report. Create the bug report with "ubuntu-bug xserver-xorg-video-intel". TIA.

PS. You can afterwards remove the new kernel package, or edit /etc/default/grub to choose the maverick one by default (GRUB_DEFAULT=2).

Hi, well, I was just wondering, I am not sure I understand much of what you said there, would need somebody to explain it a bit more, and go through it with me. Its release day, and even with a bug report I still havent been told if its fixed yet, anybody know if the backlight is fixed or not?

I tried looking for the image, on that page, but couldnt find it. Looks like I wont be able to upgrade today.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jakewc2 View Post
    Hi, well, I was just wondering, I am not sure I understand much of what you said there, would need somebody to explain it a bit more, and go through it with me. Its release day, and even with a bug report I still havent been told if its fixed yet, anybody know if the backlight is fixed or not?
    Where is the bug report?
    I tried looking for the image, on that page, but couldnt find it. Looks like I wont be able to upgrade today.
    On the web page, click on the little arrow/triangle next to "2.6.38-8.42" then you get the list of .deb packages.

From there on, if you have problems, tell us what you tried and what exactly failed or what you did not understand.
    Please use launchpad to search for/report bugs and problems: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12