Thread: 1:1 Ripping and Burning

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

1:1 Ripping and Burning

Hello, I have been doing a little research into game backups for the PS2. One thing that I keep running into is that I need a modchip or a specific piece of software in order to play a burned backup. (I don't like my original copies getting scratched up and left out by the younger members of our household.) The main reason this is needed is that there is some sort of corrupted block pattern that the PS2 looks for to see if it's a legit or a burned copy. The problem is that apparently DVD burners can't recreate these blocks. Same idea with original XBox, the games were stored backwards (from the outside in, I believe) so that they cannot be read on a PC.

My question is: Why, if the data stream is composed of 1's and 0's, can't a DVD burner just copy the raw data stream bit-for-bit. I mean say that the corrupted block on a PS2 disk is something like 11000010110110111101001011111111111000010010 What's stopping the DVD player from reading that and saving it exactly that way? And then what's stopping the DVD burner from writing it in the same pattern? Is there a driver that can be made and used to preform 1:1 ripping and burning like this? And if there is, why hasn't it been done yet? It seems a whole lot easier to do this than opening up your PS2.

Beans

Re: 1:1 Ripping and Burning

Quote Originally Posted by inukai View Post
    My question is: Why, if the data stream is composed of 1's and 0's, can't a DVD burner just copy the raw data stream bit-for-bit. I mean say that the corrupted block on a PS2 disk is something like 11000010110110111101001011111111111000010010

What's stopping the DVD player from reading that and saving it exactly that way?

And then what's stopping the DVD burner from writing it in the same pattern?

Is there a driver that can be made and used to preform 1:1 ripping and burning like this? And if there is, why hasn't it been done yet?

It seems a whole lot easier to do this than opening up your PS2.
    You cannot replicate the copy protection data with a normal burner as it's written in a non standard format which a normal burner cannot do due to it's build in error correction schemes etc. You don't have control over the burners electronics at that level, neither does a driver. So you can forget about making a 1:1 copy of a disc.