Thread: netbook question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

netbook question

Right now I'm seriously considering getting a netbook for school. I want to put Ubuntu on it but I tried the netbook remix in a virtual machine and I'm not a big fan of the Unity interface. Would it be able to handle the regular Ubuntu so I can use gnome? (I'm either getting the Asus 1015PEM or 1015PN) If not does Kubuntu or any of the other variants have they're own netbook version too? Thanks for the help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: netbook question

Hey,

Sure it will. Even with the Natty, you can select the "Ubuntu Classic" Login-Option and have GNOME back. I've used the normal version of Ubuntu Maverick and I'm using Natty on my netbook without any issues. Also battery life is normal.

Good luck out there =)

P.S.: If you're still going to buy a netbook, try look for the ones with AMD Fusion APU. It's like having a notebook in the size of a netbook =) Also watch out for battery lifetime. Don't trust on advertisement battery life. By the way, 3-Cell batteries are worth nothing. I've got a 62Wh (unfortunately, after some accidental full-discharges, now 54Wh) 6-Cell battery that holds my netbook for 6:30. And it doesn't even have SpeedStep! =)

Edit:
    Oi, I've re-read your post again. I've read somewhere that the ION is having some issues with Ubuntu, and nVidia isn't supporting it, 'currently'. I suggest you to google for more info and, if I'm right, go for another model. Good luck!

Media Center PC: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 | 2GB DDR2 800 | ATi Radeon HD3200 | 320GB HDD SATA II | Realtek ALC889A | Sony Bravia 46" 120Hz | Ubuntu Maverick
    Netbook: Acer Aspire 1410-2287 ~ Intel Celeron ULV 723 1.2GHz | 2GB DDR2 800 | 250GB HDD | Intel 4500mHD | 11,3" HD LED | 6:30hrs Battery | Ubuntu Natty

Ubuntu Powered.
    Last edited by GTMoraes; April 14th, 2011 at 07:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Kubuntu has his own netbook edition too, but it' s actually just another desktop layout. For netbooks Ubuntu or xubuntu might be a better choice cause KDE seems to use more resources and thus performance.
    I've both running on a Samsung N210 and for battery life they are similair, but responsiveness is better for Ubuntu/Gnome.

I just looked at Unity for 5 minutes before knowing that it' s not for me. The same for the netbook version of KDE/Kubuntu. So i use the fulle desktops (KDE or Gnome) on the Netbook.

Ow and another thing: Ubuntu works better with the hardware is my impression. It took me more trouble to get a Huawei UMTS USB dongle to work on Kubuntu then on Ubuntu. The latter was plug & play

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I run an Asus 1201n with Mavrick and the standard Gnome with no issue. Nvidia Ion is fully supported and runs like a charm with the proprietary drivers, with VDPAU support I can watch 1080p through HDMI with no issue.

I do recommend the Asus Eee line as so-far-so-good, you may need to manually install the driver for wireless but that is not such a big deal, I also have an Acer which is great out of the box.

Per the comment about the new AMD boxes, I agree they are pretty sweet but I am not sure about the support for the integrated (AMD/ATI) graphics in Linux just yet... I will let someone with more experience comment on that.

Edit: I noticed we are talking about ION2 not ION and yes, ION2 is currently un-supported in Linux so either look at the Fusion option or there is always Intel!

Hank
    Last edited by hsoulen; April 14th, 2011 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Brain-fart
    "I think I will call 3.11 Linux for Workgroups." - Linus Torvalds

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Good to know about ION support. Score for Ubuntu.
    I personally don't like the Eee line, the build quality is so-so. I'm more into Acer and HP.
    Again, I'm not sure about the Fusion support, but indeed it looks to be a promising technology.

But as stated in the post above, you'll be in good hands with any of the chosen models. They're pretty powerful. You can use my netbook as measurement; your chosen models are more powerful than my netbook, and my Acer runs Ubuntu flawlessly, with compiz and all 3D fancy stuff enabled. 1080p output thru HDMI works fine too.

Green light for Ubuntu on those machines, have fun =P

Success

Media Center PC: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 | 2GB DDR2 800 | ATi Radeon HD3200 | 320GB HDD SATA II | Realtek ALC889A | Sony Bravia 46" 120Hz | Ubuntu Maverick
    Netbook: Acer Aspire 1410-2287 ~ Intel Celeron ULV 723 1.2GHz | 2GB DDR2 800 | 250GB HDD | Intel 4500mHD | 11,3" HD LED | 6:30hrs Battery | Ubuntu Natty

Ubuntu Powered.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the help guys and I looked into the issues with the ION graphics, they support it but there's no way to use Optimus to switch between the ION graphics card and the integrated graphics. I don't know if it will help any but here's the specs of the netbook I'm wanting to get.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220851

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi!

You'll need a minimum of 512 ram for Ubuntu.

A little less for Xubuntu & Lubuntu.

A general rule: at least 512.

KegHead

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the help all, i just got my netbook and have been tinkering around with it and it has this cool feature called express gate. is there a way for me to replace windows with linux and still keep the express gate feature?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

As far as I'm concerned, the ExpressGate is a totally HD-independent system, so any changes you make on the HD or its structure won't affect the ExpressGate.

In short, Yes, just install it.

|Microsoft WMM 4000|

Ubuntu Powered.