I'm staying with classic.

My backup distro is Xubnuntu.

KegHead

11.04b2/classic/2.6.39-999

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: I hate Unity so far...

One problem I see is the icons on the left side taking space from my 1280 X 1024 monitor I have my browser to the far left which leaves the right for an info panel or Conky . this won't be possible with the Unity dock . I currently have Awn on the bottom , Which doesn't get in the way. If I can't can't change the theme Unity will be gone soon.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; April 14th, 2011 at 03:26 PM.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

You may think Unity is less organized/clean than Gnome2, but there is no way Unity is worse than Gnome-shell.

If you want to change the size of the Unity bar, install CCSM for the compiz settings, then look for Unity Plugin section, go to "experimental" and you can change the size of the icons.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yeah, I don't like Unity at all. The global menu sucks - unless every app supports it it's a no-go. Plus it auto-hides for some reason that I can't fathom.

The dock seems to like moving a lot which is very irritating, it also seems to lack essential features.

If you're trying to find something that's not in the dock then it's really difficult. Why are we given the option of running stuff that's not installed? This whole section of Unity is the worst - so totally frustrating for me.

So I tried Gnome 3 - you can tell the different maturity levels. It has taken a long time in coming, but the effort seems to have not been wasted at all. The design concepts all work together smoothly, there is very little that jars. Finding apps that are not in the dock is simple - in fact it is pretty much organized as before, just on the right hand side. Awesome features are: Windows key + type the first few letters of the app you want; Windows key + mouse wheel over a window; new notifications system.

Gnome 3/shell just keeps out of the way until you need it and then does it's stuff with minimum fuss but just the right amount of jazz to make you appreciate it. Unity could learn a lot from it.

Beans
    Distro

Oh, there is one thing that really pisses me off about Gnome 3 though. In order to shutdown or restart you have to hold down the alt key when hitting the system menu otherwise the only option is Suspend. That's just stupid. I had to resort to Google to find that one out, which just tells you how ridiculous that decision was.

qamelian is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    You may think Unity is less organized/clean than Gnome2, but there is no way Unity is worse than Gnome-shell.
    I disagree. I find Gnome-shell much more pleasant to work with.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by qamelian View Post
    I disagree. I find Gnome-shell much more pleasant to work with.
    GS is fine so long as you don't use your mouse much, but that wasn't my point. Why would anyone say Unity is less organized then GS?

Auto-hide moves away from Windows and can be brought up with window key. You can adjust the behavior for the auto-hide from CCSM.

There is a global menu, but there is also a categorized menu, right-click on the menu applet on the Unity bar to get "Multimedia" "Network" and so on categories.

From the menu, you can either run an installed application or install a new application. The menu is integrated with the Software Center. Eventually "favorites/most commonly used" takes precedence over both installed and not-yet-installed apps.

GS also has global and categorized menu. Why would GS be "better organized", what is the difference? Again, this is about organization not "looks" or "functionality".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I feel Unity sucks and is hard to use, I am either going to use Gnome 2 on Ubuntu 11.04 or gnome 3.0 (I am currently trying it out) I will not ever use Unity, I love Ubuntu but Unity itself could cause me to leave for another distro in the not so distant future (probably Debian, Fedora or Linux Mint)
    Linux Mint 12 (11.10 Based) Gnome 3.0 User

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've found the more I use unity the quicker I get things done - it makes life a lot easier once you get the hang of it - I don't thin I'm gonna go back to gnome.

anyway I'm off now - people will think I haven't got a gnome to go to

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Nightstrike2009 View Post
    I feel Unity sucks and is hard to use, I am either going to use Gnome 2 on Ubuntu 11.04 or gnome 3.0 (I am currently trying it out) I will not ever use Unity, I love Ubuntu but Unity itself could cause me to leave for another distro in the not so distant future (probably Debian, Fedora or Linux Mint)
    Install Gnome 3 using the PPA, it works well.

e2a: Whoops, you're probably already doing that, I need to read the whole post before replying ...

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast