Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Intel HD 3000 Graphics support for xorg?

Beans

Re: Intel HD 3000 Graphics support for xorg?

The problem still exists when in a classic GNOME session instead of Unity. It even exists when Compiz is disabled. So the 'i915' module seems to be faulty. Could someone please verify, whether this bug appears on notebooks from other vendors (not Lenovo systems) or even desktop systems as well, when the internal Intel HD Graphics is used? If so, we might file a bug report to the developers of the 'i915' module. If not, then it might be something specific to the hardware used within Lenovo systems and not a problem with the Intel HD Graphics.
    Last edited by no.human.being; May 3rd, 2011 at 10:23 PM.

Beans

Another T420 with the external monitor (Acer V223w connected via VGA) issue in 11.04. I can make the laptop screen be the "dead" one if I move the external to the left of the laptop. Also, the "good" monitor shows a black bar for the top 15% or so.

Beans

so, is this a driver issue related to Sandy Bridge?

I do notice that the picture quality via HDMI is not as good as it is over Win-doze 7 with the ATI drivers in my Dell Sandy Bridge laptop with HD3000 graphics.

Beans

Hello. I'm also having similar problems with 10.04 on my laptop; however, my laptop refuses to recognize it when an external monitor is connected. Honestly, I'd be happy with laggy/fuzzy performance. Here's the information on my video controller;

wanderso@araran:/etc/brightscope$ sudo lshw -C video
    *-display UNCLAIMED
    description: VGA compatible controller
    product: Intel Corporation
    vendor: Intel Corporation
    physical id: 2
    bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
    version: 09
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: msi pm bus_master cap_list
    configuration: latency=0
    resources: memory:c0000000-c03fffff memory:b0000000-bfffffff(prefetchable) ioport:6000(size=64)

I piped the full output of sudo to a file with neither monitor port plugged in, the monitor connected to the analog port, and the monitor connected to the HDMI port, and none of the lshw output changed for any of that. Incidentally, the monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster SA350 and the laptop is a HP Pavilion dv6-6013cl if that helps.

Beans

I recently purchased a T520 with an i7 and also am similar having issues. I find that videos (Totem, VLC) can freeze Gnome, requiring a hard-reboot. Also sometimes when opening new tabs in Firefox.

I'm running Linux Mint 10 (built on Ubuntu 10.10). I'm adding my "sudo lshw -C video" in case it might the investigation in someway:
    Code:
           product: Sandy Bridge Integrated Graphics Controller
           capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
           configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
           resources: irq:48 memory:d0000000-d03fffff memory:c0000000-cfffffff ioport:5000(size=64)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Same problem here, got external monitor plugged and the screen were just blank. The left palm rest are also bit hotter.

Beans

It just seems to magically work now. At least on classic GNOME. Haven't tested on Unity yet, since I prefer classic GNOME anyways. However, you need to run in a dual-view configuration (internal AND external monitor running). If you disable the internal panel, the framebuffer output device seems to get disabled, so no output to external display either.

I'm glad to see such an improvement.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by no.human.being View Post
    ...However, you need to run in a dual-view configuration (internal AND external monitor running). If you disable the internal panel, the framebuffer output device seems to get disabled, so no output to external display either.
    @ no.human.being, what exactly did you mean with "dual-view configuration". Did you refer to the xorg.conf setup in this way or having the external screen connected all the time?
    I am running the edgers ppa drivers on the intel-next-proposed kernel on my i7 T420 with on hd 3000 graphics and things have not improved. I was running standard kernel before. The system still is very unreliable. Random crashes ~1-2 a day, sometime x not refreshing when disconnecting external screen, etc.

Tried Mint Katya, as I read somewhere things were better there - they weren't. Some problems with Fedora 15. It is awefull. Shame to have spend so much money. I have been using Ubuntu for 6 years now but I fear I have to go back to Windows, soon. I cannot have the system crash midway through my work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Want to chime in saying that I have much the same problem. I have a brand new Dell Latitude E6320 running 11.04. It's got an i7 & the HD 3000.

I've not tested the HDMI yet, but when I plug the VGA in, half my on board screen goes black and the external monitor only shows the title bar. I can mouse onto the external screen and such like that, but it isn't useful.

Output:
    Code:
    root@WMF331:~# lshw -C video
      *-display               
           product: 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
           capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
           configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
           resources: irq:45 memory:e1400000-e17fffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff ioport:4000(size=64)
    root@WMF331:~# uname -ra
    Linux WMF331 2.6.38-8-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 11 03:31:24 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Beans

me too. thinkpad t420, i7, intel hd 3000, and no dual monitor with 11.04

interestingly, 10.10 seems to work okay. i'm not sure how to figure out what changed between 10.10 and 11.04, whether it's possible to revert just the drivers to the 10.10 version, or what the likelihood is of a future update fixing it.

i'm thinking i will downgrade to 10.10, and if that proves unworkable, go back to windows and maybe try again with 11.10?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast