Thread: paint

Beans

paint

hello. I'm looking for some app similar to Window's paint as simple and as usefull. Thank you!!

Beans

Re: paint

I've tried installing gimp, with

"apt-get install gimp"

but I get

"E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root? "

any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by baronn View Post
    I've tried installing gimp, with

"apt-get install gimp"

but I get

"E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root? "

any suggestions?
    You must use sudo

"sudo apt-get install gimp"

Get out of my way.

Beans

well gimp is more photoshop than it is paint...

there's quite a few like Kolourpaint, GNU Paint, Tuxpaint(this one is kinda for kids but u could try lol), Inkscape, and i know there's many more. they're all in the ubuntu repos so open up ubuntu software center and try them for yourself in the graphics category. i think GNU paint or GNUpaint(not sure if it's one or 2 words) is pretty good.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by matt-fender View Post
    You must use sudo

"sudo apt-get install gimp"

ofc. Stupid me! :S

Quote Originally Posted by ImDougy View Post
    well gimp is more photoshop than it is paint...

there's quite a few like Kolourpaint, GNU Paint, Tuxpaint(this one is kinda for kids but u could try lol), Inkscape, and i know there's many more. they're all in the ubuntu repos so open up ubuntu software center and try them for yourself in the graphics category. i think GNU paint or GNUpaint(not sure if it's one or 2 words) is pretty good.
    hmmm. Ok. How do I install GNU paint? Via the terminal, or by downloading a file, and then installing it? I've dowloaded and extraxted a package from here, but can't find an .exe (or it would be .exe in Windows - I've only recently changed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by baronn View Post
    ofc. Stupid me! :S

hmmm. Ok. How do I install GNU paint? Via the terminal, or by downloading a file, and then installing it? I've dowloaded and extraxted a package from here, but can't find an .exe (or it would be .exe in Windows - I've only recently changed.
    Extract the archive, cd to the directory and do:
    Code:
    make
    sudo make install
    Last edited by cgroza; April 14th, 2011 at 02:07 AM.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Freedom is measured in Stallmans.
    Projects: gEcrit

Beans

there is an easier way than downloading the package from a website and installing it that's the windows way of installing programs.

open the applications menu and click ubuntu software center and search for what you like. after searching for gnu paint just click the install button and let it install. after that it should be in the graphics menu under applications
    Last edited by ImDougy; April 14th, 2011 at 02:12 AM. Reason: also .exe is windows only but u can run these with wine, the right type of file you're looking for is a .deb package

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cgroza View Post
    Extract the archive, cd to the directory and do:
    Code:
    make
    sudo make install
    didn't quite understand what to do ....

Quote Originally Posted by ImDougy View Post
    there is an easier way than downloading the package from a website and installing it that's the windows way of installing programs.

open the applications menu and click ubuntu software center and search for what you like. after searching for gnu paint just click the install button and let it install. after that it should be in the graphics menu under applications
    Got it! Cooool! Just what I was looking for!

Windows just keep looking more and more stupid. The only "negative" (which for more experienced users, I guess, is positive) is that you actually have to configure a lot...

Beans

lol i'm glad to help