Thread: Ubuntu/Canonical Ltd. revenue

Beans

Ubuntu/Canonical Ltd. revenue

It's a silly question but I could not understand how Canonical Ltd. will gain revenue from Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud. Why would I need to store file or use software in internet if it will cost me more in bandwidth usage? If I own a company or if my research laboratory need Cloud Computing, I prefer the machine that store everything is in the same building with my office/laboratory.

I even do not sure UEC can be deployed on local network only (technically and legally), and if it does, how this scheme will give Canonical Ltd. revenue?

Can I build UEC on local network only and if I can do it by my self, or hire local IT support to do this for me, how it will give Canonical Ltd. revenue?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu/Canonical Ltd. revenue

Well, any IT staff worth their salt will calculate the costs of doing it themselves in hardware, labor, maintenance, etc. as to the cost of Canonical host it for them. Also, you would have to have the same level of redundancy, fault tolerance, overall availability, etc to do a fair comparison.

At a higher level, any SaaS offering is a contest between the cost and hassle of rolling your own or paying for a subscription and letting someone else deal with software upgrades, maintenance, backup power, climate control, hardware redundancy, network redundancy, etc.

And no, I have absolutely no relationship with Canonical.

Beans

That's mean they are targeting big fish then. Because there is no way small company will considering UEC, except for small service.

But technically and by license, UEC can be build in local network right?

Beans

I respectfully disagree. The same evaluation would occur regardless of the size of the company. In fact, a larger company might already have the facilities and staff so that implementing a private cloud is a small increase in their budget.

But take the case of a 10 person company that makes their living via Web sales. Maybe they want their capacity to be "elastic" in order to handle spikes in traffic after a promotion.

If they have a single IT person, is it more economical to implement and maintain their own private cloud infrastructure or use UEC? If their entire revenue stream depends on their servers being available, which is more robust?

As I said previously, each company has to stack rank the importance of each factor and weight the costs.

Interesting that you say "big fish". Have you priced out what it would cost?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rabinnh View Post
    I respectfully disagree. The same evaluation would occur regardless of the size of the company. In fact, a larger company might already have the facilities and staff so that implementing a private cloud is a small increase in their budget.

But take the case of a 10 person company that makes their living via Web sales. Maybe they want their capacity to be "elastic" in order to handle spikes in traffic after a promotion.

If they have a single IT person, is it more economical to implement and maintain their own private cloud infrastructure or use UEC? If their entire revenue stream depends on their servers being available, which is more robust?

As I said previously, each company has to stack rank the importance of each factor and weight the costs.

Interesting that you say "big fish". Have you priced out what it would cost?
    Big fish in my country is Government Office where your business tenders is much more likely to be accepted, foreign company will bring their own foreign vendor while local company is small fish. You can charge insanely expensive for small service and use the money to keep the business running (for greater good, feed the workers family).

Sort of how Canonical will work right, to feed the Ubuntu Foundation.

But yeah, I do not know the money count in this business plan. Can you guide me what to read first.

Beans

Wink Re: Ubuntu/Canonical Ltd. revenue

I have no connection to Canonical. I'm sure they would love to give you a quote.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi there,
    If you're interested in purchasing Cloud support, you can start looking here: http://www.canonical.com/enterprise-.../cloud-support

And if you feel lost, ping me again and I'll try to help

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 29much View Post
    That's mean they are targeting big fish then. Because there is no way small company will considering UEC, except for small service.

But technically and by license, UEC can be build in local network right?
    Right, if you follow license agreement.

Beans

Someday, I'll visit this topic again.