Thread: Banshee on Windows

Beans

Banshee on Windows

It doesn't like me.

I have no problem with it on Linux, but on Windows it'll just display my music - if I actually try to play any of it, oh no I can't do that as that makes too much sense, instead it'll freak out and require me to exit the app. As said, on Linux it plays everything I have in my library just fine, video included, but on Windows it freaks out if I try to do anything other than just stare at my stuff. Oh, and apparently I have to remove the previous installations of Banshee 1.9.6 before I can actually install Banshee 2.0.0, but since I'm apparently missing the MSI installers for two of them (for whatever reason Banshee for Windows 1.9.x doesn't directly uninstall previous installations and replace them with the new ones) I can't do anything but just look . Awesome.

So I installed Clementine instead. I don't really like the interface but at least it works. Derp.
    No longer active here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Banshee on Windows

Banshee's Windows version is still quite rough, I also understand that it may be distributed without most codec support for the usual legal reasons.

I will investigate, we have 4 or 5 people contributing regularly on the Windows code and some changes might come in Banshee to make fully featured on all platforms.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

moovida = Banshee + Windows
    The above post definitely does not contain any sarcasm at all.

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Just focus on Linux. There are already enough of everything for Windows.

Beans

@gnomeuser: I don't think that it was a codec issue as not even .ogg files would play, unless of course the GStreamer bundled with Banshee for Windows shipped with no codecs installed, which makes no sense as why would a media player ship without anything to let it play jack? That would seem a bit counter-productive to me.

@jerenept: Seems to be a shinier (but uglier) Banshee 1.8.0, which as I remember is quite buggy. I haven't even tried playing anything with it and I already hate the UI more than Clementine.

@beew: I suppose so, especially since I have like six total media players installed on this PC, Windows and Ubuntu combined.
    No longer active here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    Acually, decent media players is something that Windows rather has a tendency to lack. There's a lot of them out there, but the vast majority of them are really awful. About the only ones that are worth using are Foobar2000 and perhaps WinAmp.

There's tonnes of great Linux media players around so it'd be nice to see a few more ports making the rounds.
    La Dânse Macabre.

~ sandandmercury.net | deviantART profile ~

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sand & Mercury View Post
    Acually, decent media players is something that Windows rather has a tendency to lack. There's a lot of them out there, but the vast majority of them are really awful. About the only ones that are worth using are Foobar2000 and perhaps WinAmp.

There's tonnes of great Linux media players around so it'd be nice to see a few more ports making the rounds.
    Well then it is good! This would motivate Windows users to take an interest in Linux. If all the best Linux (or Mac or that matter) applications are ported to Windows what would be the incentive for Windows users to look at other OSes? There are already so many 'Windows only" softwares, Windows users don't need any more attentions.
    Last edited by beew; April 12th, 2011 at 09:10 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Sand & Mercury View Post
    About the only ones that are worth using are Foobar2000 and perhaps WinAmp.
    Very true.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I tried it on Windows a few weeks ago. It loaded my library fine, but failed to actually play anything lol. Love it on Linux through.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by beew View Post
    Actually ensuring that Banshee runs on Windows has improved quality for all platforms. It has also brought in at least 4 new contributors in the short time the effort has been rolling.

Enabling Banshee to run on Windows has been a huge win for the project and for it's users on Linux (and other platforms).
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.