Thread: Touchpad only has problem on "restart"

Beans

Touchpad only has problem on "restart"

Hi all,

I've got a problem with my touchpad on my laptop where it only does not work on warm Restarts (i.e. selecting RESTART from the shutdown menu). The mouse cursor is just stick in the middle of the screen and I can't move it or click any of the buttons. If I were to plug a USB mouse in, I am able to control the cursor, but the touchpad is dead. After I shutdown, the power back up, it works fine. I'm guessing it doesn't unload some sort of driver from memory on restart?

Also, shutdown/cold starts, hibernates and suspends all work as they should. I can't figure this one out for the life of me...help pls someone!

Oh, and I'm using Maverick 10.10...

tks...
    Last edited by solarisdreams; April 11th, 2011 at 09:23 PM. Reason: subscribing to thread

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Touchpad only has problem on "restart"

It may only be some sort of workround, but have a look at synclient in terminal.

Try
    Code:
    synclient -l
    for a list of all the commands you can use, and you may find a possible command to turn on the trackpad. The command certainly lets you change a lot of the operations of the pad, and I think it could be useful for you.

I'm on a desktop at the moment so can not look any further for you, I'm afraid, or I would look and make more suggestions as to detailed commands.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    It may only be some sort of workround, but have a look at synclient in terminal.

Try
    Code:
    synclient -l
    for a list of all the commands you can use, and you may find a possible command to turn on the trackpad. The command certainly lets you change a lot of the operations of the pad, and I think it could be useful for you.

I'm on a desktop at the moment so can not look any further for you, I'm afraid, or I would look and make more suggestions as to detailed commands.
    says: couldn't find synaptics properties. no synaptics driver loaded?

i ran this command with the touchpad in WORKING state...

anything else i can try?

Beans

bump...anything I can run to see what the problem might be?

Beans
    Hidden!

Install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics for synclient. I thought it was always installed on laptops, but perhaps that's not so.

Anyway, give it a try, there's nothing to lose.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans

actually the synclient and package you referred to is already installed. but even when the trackpad is working, synclient -l tells us, "Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?"

As in...I think a different driver is driving the trackpad...

Beans
    Hidden!

Oh well, it was worth a try. Sorry, but I have no idea where you can go from here.

Beans

bump