Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Minecraft Installer

Beans

Re: Minecraft Installer

Nice script!

I'm using ubuntu 11.04. I ran the script by marking as executable, double clicking on it and selecting run in terminal.
    The script worked fine and I can run minecraft using dash, the icon on the desktop or by typing 'minecraft' in a terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by ELD View Post
    Having a link there in unity and clicking it just makes the icon flash and then it does nothing.
    I added a shortcut to the unity launcher (on the left) by dragging the desktop icon onto it, and minecraft ran the first time I clicked on it, but after closing minecraft, it stops working: If I click on the launcher it flashes, like ELD said, but nothing happens. Clicking again will do nothing either (until you log out and back in again).

I think this might be a bug in unity rather than the install script as I have experienced the same problem when clicking on other launcher items.

If you edit the minecraft main menu entry so that it is an 'application in terminal' it will always work but you will have to put up with two items in the launcher when you are playing minecraft (because the terminal comes up too).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mbudden View Post
    Nope. I tried running it by selecting "Open with" and then selecting LXTerminal. Didn't work, nothing runs.
    I find it strange that you don't have permission to create a file and then edit it or make a directory, usually such a task would not require root access, I'd be interested in what happens if you were logged in as root when you ran it.

Also sorry to say that right now this really is only meant for straight up ubuntu with gnome, I'll be trying to get it to work with other distros and desktops in the future.

Any update on KDE integration?
    Here is where I'm am:
    I have it working with KDE right which is nice but at the beginning of the script, the user has to pick which distro and which desktop they are running. The purpose of this script was to make it really easy for people new to linux to get minecraft up and running so I don't want users to have to declare what they have. Right now I am working on getting the script to automatically detect these options.
    My life has become really busy now that school is done for summer and all my time is taken up by work. This weekend I hope to have some more time to work on it!

Beans

Well i'm actually back on Ubuntu now anyway, so the only thing that bothers my is the iffy support on Unity that the other person in this thread also has.

https://picasaweb.google.com/liamdaw...85535200953346

Thats a shot of what happens, it launches fine but the original launcher flashes and flashes, while the Minecraft window creates another launches which when you quit dissapears back to the old one, very odd behaviour!
    Last edited by ELD; May 18th, 2011 at 10:29 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ELD View Post
    Thats a shot of what happens, it launches fine but the original launcher flashes and flashes, while the Minecraft window creates another launches which when you quit dissapears back to the old one, very odd behaviour!
    It's likely that's what will happen with java and some other apps.
    The desktop launcher command is not the same as the 'running' command so you'll get a 2nd 'active' icon while the app is open.

What can be done is run these apps from quicklist entries, though only really useful if you have several similar apps that make sense to place in a single 'category' launcher
    (the launcher is a category, the quicklist entries are a menu.

If you had a number of java apps the a Java Apps icon to launch any of them would make sense, or if a number of games than a Games launcher, ect.

Here, Atm I have 4, - Multimedia, Utilities, Graphics & Editors and Home folder icons that provide quick access to around 35 or so apps, scripts, commands and locations.

(very easy to do and shortly a Quicklist Editor app should be done and available

Beans

Still a big pain though, i hope the next version of unity handles it a bit better :/

Beans

I used the installer, and it said it went successfully. But when I try to run it from the terminal it says

"/usr/local/bin/minecraft: line 1: java: command not found"

and if I try to run it from the shortcut I get

"There was an error launching this application.

Details: Failed to execute child process "java" (No such file or directory)"

It may have something to do with the fact that for some reason my updates haven't been working, and my software center always says it cant connect to the internet. Though if I use sudo to install things it works fine.

Beans

crack open synaptic package manager and check these for installation, it should fix your problem.

sun-java6-jre
    sun-java6-bin
    sun-java6-plugin

Beans

Hey Alloc, check this out http://getminecraft.net/
    http://getminecraft.net/

All the best from the world of MC in one place

Beans

by the way, a simple web site kit for minecraft fans out there http://getminecraft.net/kit/
    tested and it works on all browsers(IE, chrome, firefox, mobile phones etc)
    http://getminecraft.net/

All the best from the world of MC in one place

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by allocateB View Post
    crack open synaptic package manager and check these for installation, it should fix your problem.

sun-java6-jre
    sun-java6-bin
    sun-java6-plugin
    Seems to have worked, thank you very much!!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast